3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Dakota vs Tacoma

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2014, 09:19 PM
Leonpmcqaid
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Dakota vs Tacoma

I bought a used 2004 Dakota V8 4x4 and had it for 5 years. I had few problems with it... until I crashed it.

I'm now considering a new vehicle. I'm thinking of getting the 3rd gen Dakota but I'm very impressed with the torture test that Top Gear put the Tacoma through. I also hear an overwhelming majority of people raving about the Tacoma and bashing the Dakota. From my experience the Dakota doesn't deserve the bashing but then again I babied it. I delivered beer kegs in it for years, carrying about 1200 lbs twice a week. I didn't do much offroading or towing. I never drowned it in salt water or bashed it with a wrecking ball.

The Tacoma holds it's value longer but I wonder if its popularity is in part form reviews like Top Gear's.

I was also looking into buying a Jeep Wrangler simply because I think they look great. But the reviews of it are terrible and I don't go off road much. Ultimately 4 wheel drive is a must. Other than that I want low maintenance costs and durability. Safety (handling, stopping, etc.) is also a concern. Fuel efficiency is a consideration but is second to ruggedness, reliability and safety.

What do you guys think? Why the Dakota/Wrangler hate? Are there any torturer tests on the Dakota that come close to matching Top Gear's? Are there any other trucks you would consider buying?

Last edited by Leonpmcqaid; 01-29-2014 at 09:22 PM.
Old 01-29-2014, 09:36 PM
mku1974
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you buy a Wrangler, your ins. company will love you. They get chipped windshields fairly easy, but I still want one one day. JEEP also stands for Just Empty Every Pocket. The next vehicle I buy will either be a Wrangler or a Tacoma if I'm still living in my same house. If I move into a house with a larger garage it will either be a RAM or a Z71.

But as to answer your initial question about a low maintenance vehicle, get the Tacoma.

Old 01-30-2014, 08:37 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 338 Likes on 302 Posts

The 3rd gen Dakota is an excellent vehicle, but does not compare to the Tacoma. The Dak is bigger, so if you want a bigger small truck, get the Dak and get the 4.7. Dont waste time with the V6, not hating, but same mileage. The 3rd gen Daks have known front end issues too. Personally I'd take the Dak over a yota any day, but ultimately its your choice. Do some snooping in this section and research a little.

Old 01-30-2014, 09:04 AM
06Dak4.7Silver
Record Breaker

Honestly if I had a "Taco" it would probably look way better than my Dak does right now but I would also have a lot less money in my bank account. They seem to be reliable trucks and the aftermarket support is endless. I can't see that V6 being that much fun after a 5-6 inch lift and 33" tires on the thing though..so in the end I'm happy to be driving an American pickup I would like a single cab Ram as my next vehicle but I would check out Tacoma's as well

Old 01-30-2014, 09:10 AM
Alfons
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've had a fair amount of experience with Wranglers (YJ & TJ), so here's my take on them:
  • You'll either like them or dislike them, there are very few people in the grey area.
  • In my opinion, it's a great toy.
  • They're hard on gas.
  • They rust quick - lots of spot welded panels and underbody cavities. The frame has little to no proper drainage.
  • Short wheel base is great for off roading, but bad for hauling.
  • The YJ has leaf springs, so it's ride is harsher than that of the TJ.
  • They leak - YJ more than the TJ.
  • Both are easy to work on, lots of interchangeable parts, and lots of aftermarket add-ons.
  • Lots of socializing available through various jeep clubs etc.
I like my YJ and accept it's shortcomings - my liking could be directly proportional to the amount of work and money I've "invested" in this toy

Old 01-30-2014, 12:06 PM
i.who.made.you
Professional

This is not related at all to which vehicle is better mechanically but the honest to god reason I didn't but a Tacoma and probably never will is that it is so small that I hit my head on the ceiling constantly and bang it almost every time I get out. I'm not even a giant I'm only 6'2" but apparently it is enough.

Old 01-31-2014, 11:04 AM
donkeypunch
King Jackass
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Gentlemen, please aim for punctuation, correct spelling, grammar, etc.

As far as reliability goes, (out of the box) there is no question that the current generation of Tacoma is farther ahead than the Dakota. Also, the aftermarket support for the Taco is far more generous.

However, we are assuming that we will be comparing used-to-used trucks, not used-to-new. Having that been said, the Dakota will come at a cheaper price, thus allowing you to have more funds available for generic maintenance/repairs. You can fix the front end problems for a decent price, and purchase some aftermarket mods to get the 4.7L to absolutely destroy Toyota's 4.0L.

Keep in mind that if you are looking for a "suspension lifted" vehicle (anything over a leveling kit), the Toyota will be much more friendly to your wallet.

Honestly, I love my Dakota. I bought mine brand new with 38 test miles on it. Now I'm about to cross 146K. I take my truck wheelin', huntin', fishin', towin', snowin', daily drivin', Home Depot n', grocery gettin', Copenhagen n', Tactical Store Shoppin n', etc.

I have never had a vehicle that I have "torture" tested like this one, with having excellent results to boot. I'm sure there are also a thousand Taco owners that would say the same. I think you are alright with either choice. But personally, I think you should keep the Dak community alive.

Old 01-31-2014, 02:37 PM
adamjeeps
Rookie

The only Top Gear torture test I am aware of for the Yota was an old Hilux model that is totally different than the Tacoma that is made today.

Old 01-31-2014, 03:33 PM
Leonpmcqaid

Thanks, this confirms what I've read on the Wrangler. Not the vehicle for me.

Old 01-31-2014, 03:36 PM
Leonpmcqaid

Yeah, I'm 6'5" so that may be a deal breaker.

Quick Reply: Dakota vs Tacoma