3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

frozen brake caliper bracket pins

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2014, 12:41 PM
Jeremysp1993
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default frozen brake caliper bracket pins

So I've had my suspension all apart for 2 months and now reinstalling all the new arm, cvs, hubs, tie rods and sway bar stuff. So I was installing the brakes and I realized the pin on one of the caliper brackets were frozen open and won't budge even with tons of force in my vice. So I picked up a new bracket and Napa will have boots and pins today. Well, Idk why its stuck as they were all stored in a dry place while everything was disassembled. the boot wasn't on it properly too, so water must've got in, but its In a dry play in a garage. Is it possible that I was driving with a frozen brake caliper pin? how bad could that of been? also, the pads were almost new along with the rotors, maybe 5k on em.

Old 03-19-2014, 12:56 PM
rookie
Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think you would have to not drive the truck for a long time to allow the pin to seize enough to resist the hydraulic pressure of the braking system. I would think that when the pads and rotors were changed that the frozen pin would have been noticed.

Old 03-19-2014, 10:44 PM
Jeremysp1993
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WEll I didn't put it back on my truck. I put it in my vice and I couldn't turn it and I couldn't squeeze it even with a 2.5foot pipe on the end of my big vice. Lol, its strange, I'm glad I found it...

Quick Reply: frozen brake caliper bracket pins