3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

wipers turn on once when starting truck

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2014, 01:07 PM
Jeremysp1993
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wipers turn on once when starting truck

So I have a weird issue. It happens 99% of the times when starting my truck. When I start my truck, the wiper goes across once and then stays down. Why does it do this? It's so annoying....

Old 03-20-2014, 09:31 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 338 Likes on 302 Posts

Waving Hi to you?

Old 03-21-2014, 12:36 AM
Jeremysp1993
Veteran

LOL its not funny, its annoying....

Old 03-26-2014, 01:31 PM
Jeremysp1993
Veteran

bump....

Old 03-26-2014, 07:14 PM
CTSNicholas

I had this issue a couple days back when it was raining. If I turned the wipers off and shut the truck off it would go once when I started it, or actually just gave power with the ignition really.

I decided to cycle them off, on, then off, and then turn off my Dakota. It didn't go back when I started the truck.

I used the wipers quite a bit the next day and had no issues, though I *did* changed wipers the day it was sleeting. Perhaps wiggling the motor as I took old blades off new ones on fixed it instead? I hope it isn't coming back, odd issue indeed.

Old 03-27-2014, 08:58 AM
DodgeCACares
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by CTSNicholas
I had this issue a couple days back when it was raining. If I turned the wipers off and shut the truck off it would go once when I started it, or actually just gave power with the ignition really.

I decided to cycle them off, on, then off, and then turn off my Dakota. It didn't go back when I started the truck.

I used the wipers quite a bit the next day and had no issues, though I *did* changed wipers the day it was sleeting. Perhaps wiggling the motor as I took old blades off new ones on fixed it instead? I hope it isn't coming back, odd issue indeed.
CTSNicholas,

The windshield wiper module is controlled by the battery currents received by the wiper motor. In some cases, if the wipers are functioning in an erratic fashion, a loose connection or wiring issue may exist.

@Jeremysp1993, I'm sorry to hear about you wiper issue. If the issue occurs on every start-up, a communication issue may be present in the wiper module.

Old 03-27-2014, 08:44 PM
backinadodge

Have your alternator tested. Had this issue with the wipers on a Ford awhile back, and it turned out the alternator was on its way out.

Quick Reply: wipers turn on once when starting truck