3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Coil Spring Rate

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2014, 01:42 PM
i.who.made.you
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coil Spring Rate

Does anyone have any information on the coil spring rate and/or design load for any of the 3G Dakotas? I cannot find any information in them at all. Raybestos offers two spring rates (572 and 690) so it might be one of those but I have had not luck finding a definite anywhere.

Old 03-23-2014, 09:32 PM
rookie
Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The only info on the springs that I have is that they are the same brand as the rest of the front end: "Crapco." Sorry about venting on your thread; wish I had some useful info for you. I guess your looking for an improvement?

Old 03-25-2014, 12:11 AM
moe7404
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

here in Wichita , KS we have a full service spring shop. you can take a 3/4 ton pick up in with your camper loaded and they will make new springs to put it level. they do big trucks to. they make the springs right there. if you could find one near you they might be able to help.

Old 03-25-2014, 10:47 AM
rookie
Captain

Originally Posted by i.who.made.you
Does anyone have any information on the coil spring rate and/or design load for any of the 3G Dakotas? I cannot find any information in them at all. Raybestos offers two spring rates (572 and 690) so it might be one of those but I have had not luck finding a definite anywhere.
I think they were designed to only carry people, and the shocks were obviously designed to make the people sea-sick.

I think with a little research, know-how and creativity, you could swap in a decent coil-over with somewhat bolt-on adapters. Hopefully gain a slight lift, more travel and a much better ride. They will cost at least twice as much as a replacement strut + all the adaptive hardware + a nitro charge + blood, sweat, and tears. Maybe seasick isn't so bad.

Old 03-25-2014, 11:08 AM
donkeypunch
King Jackass

Originally Posted by i.who.made.you
What is the reason for wanting to know this? Are you looking to change your spring rate, or mimic it?

Old 03-25-2014, 11:46 AM
projektdirtfab
Record Breaker

Just send me your lower arms and ill modify them to allow coilovers and then send you some plates to bolt to your upper mounts then drop the cash for some icons or kings or fox or whatever and youll never have to worry about ride quality again lol

Old 03-25-2014, 04:17 PM
rookie
Captain

^^^that!

Old 03-26-2014, 10:46 AM
donkeypunch
King Jackass

Originally Posted by projektdirtfab
Just send me your lower arms and ill modify them to allow coilovers and then send you some plates to bolt to your upper mounts then drop the cash for some icons or kings or fox or whatever and youll never have to worry about ride quality again lol
Would this be, perhaps, cutting the bushing out and welding double sheer tabs in place? Because that is exactly what I want to do. What kind of price are we looking at, including the top mounts?

Old 03-26-2014, 11:46 AM
projektdirtfab
Record Breaker

Yes that is what im talking about. Not sure pricing yet. Not much though being as its just a handful of metal and few hours cutting and welding. More if you want me to include coilovers and hardware but I dont mark up parts. Just charge for my precious time

Sorta like the raider that was built for baja

Attached Images

Last edited by projektdirtfab; 03-26-2014 at 11:51 AM.
Old 03-26-2014, 02:46 PM
rookie
Captain

what kinda numbers on that Baja raider? Shock length? wheel travel? That is where I was headed, but the quality of all the other components (ball joints, tie rods, and bushings) made me hold out for your CAs, and tie rod assembly. is that your work? how far did the bottom shock mount get moved to clear the cv?

Last edited by rookie; 03-26-2014 at 02:48 PM.

Quick Reply: Coil Spring Rate