3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

!@#$% shock bolt!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2014, 12:15 AM
barrysuperhawk
Professional
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default !@#$% shock bolt => IS FIXED! Ram parts worked

So I tried to install my leveling kit this weekend. Everything came apart fine until I got to the very last bolt, which happened to be the lower strut mount. Got the nut off fine, but the bolt is seized to the bushing. 950 ft/lbs worth of impact wrench couldn't get the bolt to turn even a millimeter, and the BFH treatment didn't work either.

Thankfully, I had the sense to try to look this thing up before the torch came out. WTF is that bushing called? I figure I am going to need at least the bushing, bolt, and maybe the strut, and I can find all of the other parts at rock auto or Oreilles, but my search-fu is weak, because I cannot find the bushing or the bolt listed anywhere.

So I put it all back togeather and decided to order parts, but I don't know what to order. So, any words of wisdom or links?

Last edited by barrysuperhawk; 04-20-2014 at 09:33 AM.
Old 03-25-2014, 09:00 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 349 Likes on 310 Posts

I believe those bushings are dealer only parts. You are not the first to have trouble removing that bolt.

Old 03-25-2014, 09:07 AM
barrysuperhawk
Professional

Funny you should mention that, my Stealer wants me to buy a WHOLE NEW LOWER CONTROL ARM, complete, AND a Quick Strut... FML.

If I am not the first, how is this item not available at a parts store, that's just nuts.

Old 03-25-2014, 10:34 AM
rookie
Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

So glad to be saying bye-bye to these parts! Gonna cut that stuff off and not look back. Ditching the control arms, sway bar, struts, tie rod assembly, and all the associated bushings and ball joints. Spendy, but hopefully worth it.

Old 03-25-2014, 11:05 AM
donkeypunch
King Jackass
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Barry, the bushing that you are talking about is the lower control arm strut bushing. The reason the stealership wants you to purchase a whole new control arm is because these are bushings that are pressed in. They are very difficult to replace. Look at Moog LCAs that come with the ball joints and bushings. This is a much stronger setup than the factory stuff.

Old 03-25-2014, 02:39 PM
barrysuperhawk
Professional

Originally Posted by donkeypunch
Barry, [snip] Look at Moog LCAs that come with the ball joints and bushings. This is a much stronger setup than the factory stuff.
Got a part number or a link? I think i found a part on rock auto [ I am on my phone cannot seem to post a direct link]
but its only like $20 I can't tell if that it is the correct part.

Old 03-26-2014, 11:45 AM
bucks
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just replaced that bushing this past Saturday. I needed to do it along time ago but was very hesitant as there was no listing for the Dakota but people on here were saying the part from a Ram1500 would work. It did. I tried to press the old one out but it wouldn't budge. I did one cut all the way through the bushing with the sawzall and it fell out. All I had to do was hammer the other one in and it was fine. The part is listed in other threads on here from NAPA. Up here in Canada it cost me $51 with taxes.

Old 03-26-2014, 01:04 PM
barrysuperhawk
Professional

Sorry, the app is not letting me search on my phone. Can anybody confirm a part number for this?

Old 03-27-2014, 08:35 AM
bucks
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

NAPA part number is 2673738. It comes up listing 2 parts, control arm bushing lower and control arm bushing offset. Not sure what this was about as the dimensions were the same.

Last edited by bucks; 04-07-2014 at 10:05 AM.
Old 04-20-2014, 09:26 AM
barrysuperhawk
Professional

Ok, I can confirm that the lower control arm bushings sold for the Ram are indeed the same exact ones as are in the Dakota, except the shoulder on the bolt that comes with it iis too long. It is an absolute bitch to get out, but replacement is fairly easy. Sorry I didn't take pix of the process, my hands were full. I ended up having to cut the bolt into 4 pieces, burn the rubber out of the old bushing with a torch, and then 10 minutes with an air hammer to get it out. If you end up needing this, plan on sourcing a shorter [or all thread] bolt. Or I suppose you might run a die onto the provided bolt [you only need about 1/4" more threads than you have] if you were feeling really froggy or had access to a lathe.

Last edited by barrysuperhawk; 04-20-2014 at 09:32 AM.

Quick Reply: !@#$% shock bolt!!