3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Transfer Case Seal.. Easy fix?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2014, 07:49 AM
flywithnelson
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transfer Case Seal.. Easy fix?

Good Morning... I'm a proud owner of a dodge Dakota 2006 3.7 SLT 4x4.. Its running strong... When I pulled out of my driveway this morning I found a nice big puddle of fluid below my transfer case... It looks like its leaking from this seal in the pictures below... I've changed out a dive shaft on this truck before but have never replaced the seal.. has anyone done this before? Easy fix?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
image.jpg (20.0 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg
image2.jpg (17.5 KB, 14 views)
Old 03-26-2014, 10:56 AM
kenttt
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes it is. Just make sure that the part of the yoke that slips into the T case is nice and smooth, not pitted or scored.

Old 03-27-2014, 07:51 PM
Alfons
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If it was just the seal, it wouldn't be too bad, you could pull out the slip yoke, pull out the old seal and then tap in a new one. The common problem with slip yokes is that a groove gets worn into it right where it rotates in the seal. If this is the case, you need to either repair the slip yoke shaft or get a good one and then you also need to change the seal as well. The common method of fixing this groove is to use a micro sleeve.

Removing the old seal isn't all that difficult - you don't need to be kind to it as long as you don't damage the seat. There are tools for this, but with care, even a cold chisel or large screw driver will work - just watch the seat. To tap in a new seal, you need something that will sit on the seal casing (often a large socket or something similar will work - I've also used water pipe fittings on some seal). When installing a new seal, make sure it's going in straight or you'll twist the seal and it will leak.

Quick Reply: Transfer Case Seal.. Easy fix?