3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

rear axle might be leaking

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2014, 04:45 PM
Jeremysp1993
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rear axle might be leaking

My 05 axle might be leaking from passenger axle seal. Fluid was a tad low, but not bad. I noticed the backing plate behind the drum at the bottom seemed wet, but barely. IDk if that's the cause, or if it might just be a brake leaking, not sure till I take off the drum. I might end up having to replace the shaft and the bearing. I don't see the shaft anywhere for sale.... Am I dumb? I called a couple places around and they don't list em, and I hoped they would because of my auto school discount. They list repair bearings, but not sure how good those are. Usually leaking means the bearing has slop allowing grease past the seal. MAybe I'm lucky and It's just the seal, not sure. Just weighing out my options. I was gonna lift it and get new tires, but, I need to fix this first.

Old 04-17-2014, 06:57 PM
Eimer123
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I do not see the need to replace the shaft. It is probably just a outer seal that is bad.
or your brake cylinder is leaking.

They make repair bearings that are slightly larger, but that would require the entire shaft to be machined down.

I would start with the brake cylinder. If that is not leaking then replace the outer seal and wheel bearing if you want to. You will need a bearing puller and slide hammer, and a bearing seat set to reinstall.

Old 04-17-2014, 08:10 PM
Jeremysp1993
Veteran

YEah its not leaking on the wheel at all. That's usually the first major sign too. I'll take a look tomorrow. I don't think the shaft has to be machined, on crown vics (which I have and on forums for) the repair bearing sits further in if I'm correct. I helped a friend replace his repair bearing wIth a brand new shaft and normal bearing. That only costed him 150 for the kit cuz It's a common issue. Hopefully nothing is actually leaking and It's just condensation.

Old 04-26-2014, 02:01 PM
Jeremysp1993
Veteran
Default update

Just as an update, yesterday I didn't have school so I had time to investigate. I took off the drum and it has no signs of anything leaking. I must've only seen moisture, not oil. Now It's time to order my leveling kit today

Quick Reply: rear axle might be leaking