3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

body lift

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2014, 01:08 PM
Lovinmydodge
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default body lift

sry if this is beating a dead horse, but i have limited time at work to be on here but ... wondering if anyone here has done the 3 inch body lift available for our truck?

wondering what issues you ran into etc? i have a 2005 slt 3.7 2wd

Old 04-20-2014, 03:44 PM
conquest86*

i did one recently on mine. i am very satisfied with how the truck looks after the lift. I will say that it is a very involved process. I had a few problems, but was able to over come them. I had two big set backs. First the kit was two blocks short, so i put it all together and left the two blocks out of the rear of the bed until the others were shipped in. I needed my truck for some winter weather. I just was sure not to haul anything in the bed. I also broke one bed bolt flush with the bed. That took me some time to cut out and weld in a replacement nut. So other than that the kit when on fairly smooth. It just took a lot of time. The directions and pictures with the kit were not very clear. All the bolts and nuts were mixed together in one big bag and had to be separated and sifted through to find out which bolt was needed for each step. The handling of the truck i thought was very close to the same as before. Some say that it changes the feel of the truck due to increase in center of gravity. Just be sure to give yourself PLENTY of time. It all bolts on as long as the bolts come loose.

Old 04-22-2014, 12:55 AM
EVguy
Veteran
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Lovinmydodge
sry if this is beating a dead horse, but i have limited time at work to be on here but ... wondering if anyone here has done the 3 inch body lift available for our truck?

wondering what issues you ran into etc? i have a 2005 slt 3.7 2wd
Lots of penetrating oil for days before you start.

Love my BL.

Old 04-22-2014, 10:27 AM
Lovinmydodge
Professional

Yeah I've been playing around with it now for the last few days, I have the three inch strut blocks on the front and I have coil over load level shocks on the rear that jacked the rear up 2 inches lol so the truck appears to sit lvl now, but I wanna run either 33 or 35-12.50 and I am not dropping 3200 on jack my rides 6 inch lift lol and I'm a mechanic by trade and have a lift that makes doin work on my own truck easy I've already taken the bed off the truck once or twice before so that shouldn't be too much of an issue. Did u guys have issues with the steering extension or the radiator core support extension ?

Old 04-22-2014, 11:38 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 337 Likes on 301 Posts

Even though you are 2wd, be prepared to have premature balljoint and tie rod failure with a 3" leveling kit.

Old 04-23-2014, 12:51 AM
EVguy
Veteran
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Lovinmydodge
Did u guys have issues with the steering extension or the radiator core support extension ?
Kit bolted in no problems.
My rad support is all custom to hold the huge rad.

Old 04-23-2014, 09:26 AM
Lovinmydodge
Professional

got ya, as far as the tie rod and ball joint failure i'm expecting it, infact i had no issues until i put the kit on, I believe that I've already got some issues. As i go over bumps i have a slight clunk, so i'm looking at replacing my outter tie rod ends, and upper and lower control arms at one swing.

do u have any other pics of your truck EVGuy? love to see it, also I so want a cummins in my truck like !!!!!

Old 04-23-2014, 09:39 AM
Lovinmydodge
Professional

other than JMR, Do u guys have any leads on higher angle control arms, and tie rod ends that are better for the angle being placed on them?

The other day I was looking at it, and wondered if there was a kit to drop down my rack just an inch or two to take the angle load off the rack..?

any thoughts.?

Old 04-23-2014, 10:23 AM
rookie
Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

One of our members (projektdirtfab) makes a heim steering kit. It's the beef and has better flex. Maybe get the moog control arms with greasable ball joints? Maybe a little better.

Old 04-23-2014, 10:24 AM
rookie
Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

He makes CAs too, but they are wider.

Quick Reply: body lift