3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

DIY air intake question

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2014, 08:29 PM
pierrejoly
Veteran
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default DIY air intake question

I was reading the thread for the DIY air intake (Completed Intake DYI pics step by step...) and I have a few questions. I'm thinking about doing the same but keeping the air box. Does anyone know if the 3" fernco fits the TB on the 3.7 or will I need a different size? what about the outlet of the stock airbox? and does the 3.7 move alot with reving, etc to warrant someting other then two ferncos, one at the TB and one at the outlet of the airbox? Will it have enough give to take off the lid on the airbox to clean my filter?

I havn't taken it apart yet to check the sizes but i'm looking to do that all in one day so I want to pre-purchase what I need, not take it apart, measure, put it back together, go to the hardware store, then back home, let it cool, take it apart and put the new system together. If nobody has the measurements, then I'll take it apart and measure first, but I'm trying to avoid that if I can.

I'll be opening up the intake tube to the stock air box to 4" with an adapter plate and plumbing that into the fender to get more air into the airbox. I already have a K&N drop in which has the same area of filter material then the cone filters which is why i want to do it this way as well as keeping the filter away from mud and water that may get splashed in when i'm offroading. I havn't seen any water in the airbox yet, I'm careful when I head off the beaten path for spalshing water up but I have seen signs of water and mud on the engine itself. Yes, the filter is oiled, but I don't want to loose filter capacity when I might need it most.

So, kinda like this one Homebrewed Air Intake but with a 3.7 and using 4 inch pipe to the fender instead of letting it all open like he did and risk getting water and mud and crap on the filter.

Quick Reply: DIY air intake question