3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Brake Light Stuck on

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2014, 10:40 AM
bchapin05
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake Light Stuck on

Ive searched a ton for this and cant seem to find much info. My brake light wont turn off. Not the ABS light but the parking brake dash light. So everytime I take off it beeps thinking that I have the parking brake on when I don't. Everything I've seen just says check the fluid (done) and check for a sensor (dont see one). Yesterday I followed the line out to the rear wheel and checked for anything stuck.

I'm assuming its either an adjustment, a sensor I'm unaware of, or a fuse somewhere. Any ideas on where to start?

Old 05-29-2014, 01:27 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 340 Likes on 303 Posts

Did you check the switch for the parking brake pedal?

Old 05-29-2014, 01:42 PM
bchapin05
Professional

Where is the switch located? I've played around with the parking brake and handle but haven't seen anything that looked like a switch or sensor. I found a pic of the switch so I know what I'm looking for now. I'll see if I can find it.

Last edited by bchapin05; 05-29-2014 at 01:47 PM.
Old 05-29-2014, 03:36 PM
northgator8
All Star
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Also, check your fluid level. Low level can throw the light.

Old 05-30-2014, 10:44 AM
bchapin05
Professional

I found the switch for the main brake but not the parking brake. Fluid is good. According to the manual if the light doesn't go off then something is wrong with the hydraulics.

Old 05-30-2014, 11:06 PM
kenttt
Professional

If the math is correct, 117% of men like cold beer!

Copied from the service manual:

The park brake switch is located on the park brake lever mechanism on the cowl side inner panel below the instrument panel, to the left of the steering column.
This switch includes a spade-type output terminal that connects the switch to the vehicle electrical system through a dedicated take out and connector of the body wire harness. The output terminal is integral to the stationary contact within a molded plastic insulator.
A locating tab on the insulator engages a slot in the park brake lever mechanism for positive switch location. External to the insulator is a movable leaf contact with an integral grounding lug on one end and an integral actuating lever and follower on the opposite end. The switch is secured to and grounded by a single screw to the park brake lever mechanism. The park brake switch cannot be adjusted or repaired and, if faulty or damaged, it must be replaced.

OPERATION
The park brake switch is a normally closed, mechanically actuated leaf contact switch that is operated by the park brake lever mechanism. The switch is grounded through its mounting to the park brake lever mechanism and provides a ground input to the ElectroMechanical Instrument Cluster (EMIC) (also sometimes referred to as the Cab Control Node/CCN) on a park brake switch sense circuit whenever the park brake is applied, and opens this circuit whenever the park brake is released. The park brake switch sense input to the EMIC is used for control of the brake indicator and may also be used as a logic input for other electronic features in the vehicle.
The park brake switch can be diagnosed using conventional diagnostic tools and methods. However, proper testing of the EMIC processing of the park brake switch sense input requires the use of a diagnostic scan tool. Refer to the appropriate diagnostic information.

Old 06-02-2014, 10:42 AM
bchapin05
Professional

Sweet thanks man I'll see what I can find with that switch.

Old 06-03-2014, 10:54 PM
barns12

Mine did the same thing. Turned out when I would release the parking brake, the parking brake pedal was not coming all the way back up, appeared to be, but when I held the parking brake release out and pulled up on the pedal and then released the parking brake release handle the light would go out. I suppose it might be a weak spring or parking brake cable assembly. Maybe try lubing the cable. Hope this helps.

Old 06-04-2014, 12:25 PM
bchapin05
Professional

I tried playing with that before. I've held the handle pulled on the brake, manually pulled on everything. I've tried basically everything minus replace any switches or anything tied to it. So I'm assuming it may be one of those things I just haven't had enough time to play with it.

Old 06-04-2014, 05:42 PM
Wiseman

Brake pedal switch is bad. Common on all 2005 ram models. There really should be a recall for this problem. Dealer mechanic told me, he has replaced over a few thousand, and more keep arriving every week.

Also, your speed control will not work, while the computer thinks your stepping on the brake pedal.

Quick Reply: Brake Light Stuck on