3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Brake and shake

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2014, 09:42 PM
baross1
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake and shake

I have a recurring issue with my 06 Dakota shaking when I apply the brakes. I thought the issue was over. Not! It is back.
I have replaced drums twice from autozone, once from napa. Rear brake shoes, autozone. Front rotors twice from autozone. Front pads, autozone.
Had the front end checked and everything is good. Had all 4 tires balanced.
Can't figure out what is going on!! It seems like it is really noticeable when I am braking down hill or when I am braking hard.
Don't know where to go from here. Mechanic friend is coming by tomorrow to take it for a ride. HELP!

Old 07-15-2014, 10:26 AM
DodgeCares
Champion
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

You didn't mention if calipers were checked or replaced.

Old 07-15-2014, 10:57 AM
TejasMtnBiker
Captain

brake lines been flushed/bled? Are the tires in good shape, no broken internal cords? Ball joints upper & lower, tie rods inner an outer in good shape or fairly new?

Old 07-15-2014, 09:13 PM
Anthony Grego
Professional
Default same

Same issue. Hard breaking or down hill slowing down hard. Ever since the bigger tires n lift. No solution found yet.

Old 07-15-2014, 09:29 PM
baross1
Rookie

Solution ?

My friend stopped today and we took it for a ride. He used the e-brake to isolate if it was front or back causing the issue. No doubt it was in the rear.
Keep in mind I replaced drums twice from Autozone and no change. Replaced rear shoes and no change. Saturday I returned to Autozone and got a refund for the drums. Went to Napa and purchased set number 3 and no change.
Reluctantly took the drums to local repair shop to have the drums turned.
Drum #1, 4 course cuts and 1 finish cut. Drum #2, 3 course cuts and 1 finish.
No shaking at all when braking on hill or anywhere else. Where the hell are they getting their parts from? Anyone else ever had this happen?

Old 07-15-2014, 10:36 PM
dakotaff
Champion
Received 81 Likes on 78 Posts

Another Dakota with the same issue here, first noticed it going downhill recently. I did the parking brake test and it's not coming from the rear brakes.

Old 07-16-2014, 12:18 PM
rodslinger
Veteran
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Same issue

I've had the same issue repeatedly on the 2005 I used to have and currently on my 2011. Dealer has turned the front rotors two or three times and the rear drums too. Issue comes back a few months later.

Just crap design I guess. Am about to order some higher quality front rotors. Not sure what to do about the rear yet.

Old 07-16-2014, 08:56 PM
BillPa
Amateur

My buddy was having the problem with his '07 since new, especially under hard braking or going down steep hills He had it back to the dealer and shop that does all the work on his other vehicles. They both turned or replaced the rotors and pads and all said the same pretty much the same thing, its the nature of the beast.

In desperation he scraped the bottom of the bucket and asked me about it.

To make a long story short I replaced both the rotors and pads with these and new rubber caliper bushings.
http://www.primechoiceautoparts.com/...w-set-kit.aspx

For a hundred bucks his Dakota now stops nice and smooth as it should. So far he has only put about 300 miles on them, we'll sell how they do long term.

Bill

Last edited by BillPa; 07-16-2014 at 09:02 PM.
Old 07-18-2014, 10:01 AM
lghtngblt02
The RAM Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by dakotaff
Another Dakota with the same issue here, first noticed it going downhill recently. I did the parking brake test and it's not coming from the rear brakes.
This test is genius... something so simple works! I just did it and I have rear break issues as I suspected.

Old 07-18-2014, 10:31 AM
pyrofossil
Professional
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What is this Rear Brake test??? I have about 85,000 miles on my 05 and never touched the rear brakes.... I have bled and replaced front brake pads and put drilled and slotted rotors ti get rid of my shakes

Quick Reply: Brake and shake