3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Passenger Air bag issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2014 | 04:20 PM
bchapin05
|
Professional
Default Passenger Air bag issue

Anyone ever had issue with the airbag light coming on randomly? After driving about 10 minutes or so my airbag light will come on as well as the airbag off sign and then it makes a ding noise. I have the airbag turned on but have turned it off to see if something was wrong with the key switch but it still does it regardless of if its off or on.

Checked both airbag fuses and they look fine. Assuming it might be a sensor of some kind? Can O Reilly's or Autozone pull a code on the air bag light?

Old 08-05-2014 | 06:20 PM
ErikMissile
Rookie

I've had my instrument cluster light up randomly for a few seconds or one key cycle. It's always reset itself. I've never had both the dash panel light and the passenger light come on together. I'm not sure if AutoZone can give anything but engine light codes. If it was just your passenger airbag on/off light being strange then the problem could be as simple as junk caught in the belt buckle latch but not sure about the instrument cluster light coming on with it.

Old 08-05-2014 | 06:32 PM
dakotaff
Champion

Take a drive to Autozone or Oreillys and see if they can do it, but I don't think that they can. Sometimes a weak battery will throw an airbag error code, maybe check yours.

Old 08-07-2014 | 02:46 PM
bchapin05
|
Professional

I figured it out. This is extremely dumb but I noticed if once the light came on I pushed hard on the seat it would go off. So I was assuming it was something with the weight sensor in the seat. Then I realized I had forgot a bottle of vodka in the back from when I went camping. The bottle had wedged under the seat and was pushing into the seat pretty hard. Removed vodka and now its not coming on.

Old 08-07-2014 | 04:27 PM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech

Originally Posted by bchapin05
I figured it out. This is extremely dumb but I noticed if once the light came on I pushed hard on the seat it would go off. So I was assuming it was something with the weight sensor in the seat. Then I realized I had forgot a bottle of vodka in the back from when I went camping. The bottle had wedged under the seat and was pushing into the seat pretty hard. Removed vodka and now its not coming on.

Removing alcohol always helps (:

Hopefully the calibration isn't off. I doubt it is though.

Old 08-08-2014 | 11:51 AM
kenttt
Professional

Vodka will do it to ya every time!

Old 08-08-2014 | 12:07 PM
dakotaff
Champion

Never blame the vodka. Never!!!!!!!!

Vodka is you're friend.

Quick Reply: Passenger Air bag issue