3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

retune superchip to factory tune

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2014, 06:01 PM
stonny9
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default retune superchip to factory tune

Just bought an 05 4.7. Previous owner had it superchips tuned on the tow tune and speedo calibrated for 285/75/16. He left the tuner under the rear seat but alas 6 months later it isnt there. Dealer seemed sincere when I asked about it but they didnt have it. I advised them that for any vehicle but mine it is just a paperweight. I assume a worker took it.

Tires rub on full lock so gonna change at least the fronts out in a few months as they are starting to show cupping. Probably go back to stock tire size per door label of 255/65/16 especially since I have 3.55 rear end.

What are my options for going back to stock tune? Kinda annoying with the shift rpm's for 1st and 2nd at 3k. Dealer only or would a shop have that function?

What octane is the tow tune for?

Also with the tow tune what function does the factory tow/haul/od off function do?

I searched for these answers for 30 mins but got nothing helpful.

Old 08-20-2014, 08:06 PM
MoparMan1991
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by stonny9
Just bought an 05 4.7. Previous owner had it superchips tuned on the tow tune and speedo calibrated for 285/75/16. He left the tuner under the rear seat but alas 6 months later it isnt there. Dealer seemed sincere when I asked about it but they didnt have it. I advised them that for any vehicle but mine it is just a paperweight. I assume a worker took it.

Tires rub on full lock so gonna change at least the fronts out in a few months as they are starting to show cupping. Probably go back to stock tire size per door label of 255/65/16 especially since I have 3.55 rear end.

What are my options for going back to stock tune? Kinda annoying with the shift rpm's for 1st and 2nd at 3k. Dealer only or would a shop have that function?

What octane is the tow tune for?

Also with the tow tune what function does the factory tow/haul/od off function do?

I searched for these answers for 30 mins but got nothing helpful.
Any dealer should be able to reflash your PCM.

As far as the octane, I would assume that it would be a 91 tune, but I don't know.

The factory OD Off switch is designed to eliminate constant shifting while towing in hilly areas, as it causes the transmission to heat up pretty quickly.

Old 08-20-2014, 08:28 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 334 Likes on 298 Posts

You are stuck without a tuner. Dealer reflash. Tow tune calls for at least 91 octane. I ran 87 in mine with the tow tune with no ill effects. I loved the extended shift points.

Old 08-20-2014, 09:14 PM
stonny9
Amateur

Ok thanks for the replies so far. When the front tires wear out or get to bad probably within 6 months I am gonna go back to stock tune and stock tire size of 255/65/16. Might get it reflashed before I go on a 1900 mile round trip in a couple weeks.

Just filled up for the first time today with 87 and I know for a fact that the guy that owned it 6 months total before me even knew it had a tune. I only got the whole story because after I bought it my bro realized he knew the owner who traded it in 6 months before and I could tell from the 1-2 shifting.

Anything particular I should tell the dealer or request when they load a stock tune in? Why do i never see HPTuners mentioned?

Coming from chevy that is all I ever heard/used for the obdll cars. Might go that route seeing as I can tune with it later if needed and use it as a scanner.

Last edited by stonny9; 08-20-2014 at 09:19 PM.
Old 08-21-2014, 07:36 AM
northgator8
All Star
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by stonny9
Ok thanks for the replies so far. When the front tires wear out or get to bad probably within 6 months I am gonna go back to stock tune and stock tire size of 255/65/16. Might get it reflashed before I go on a 1900 mile round trip in a couple weeks.

Just filled up for the first time today with 87 and I know for a fact that the guy that owned it 6 months total before me even knew it had a tune. I only got the whole story because after I bought it my bro realized he knew the owner who traded it in 6 months before and I could tell from the 1-2 shifting.

Anything particular I should tell the dealer or request when they load a stock tune in? Why do i never see HPTuners mentioned?

Coming from chevy that is all I ever heard/used for the obdll cars. Might go that route seeing as I can tune with it later if needed and use it as a scanner.
You probably already know this, but I will say it anyway. If you are 4wd, you can't just change the front tire size. You WILL break something at some point.

Old 08-21-2014, 07:46 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 334 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by northgator8
You probably already know this, but I will say it anyway. If you are 4wd, you can't just change the front tire size. You WILL break something at some point.
Very true. Quickest way to destroy a transfer case is to run different size tires on the front.

Old 08-21-2014, 08:42 AM
stonny9
Amateur

Originally Posted by northgator8

I am 2wd. No need for 4wd. They were cheaper options but the maintenance issues and lower mileage would have quickely cost me more.

I do have the antispin diff which is a nice plus for me.

Old 08-21-2014, 09:03 AM
dakotaff
Champion
Received 81 Likes on 78 Posts

I think you'll be happier with a 265/70/16 tire, which was a stock sized tire.

Quick Reply: retune superchip to factory tune