3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Replaced LR Door

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2015, 11:16 PM
Reject
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Replaced LR Door

Well rust struck again, twice.
My Left Rear door the bottom rusted out, and wasnt repairable as the inside also did.
So I went to the dealer (installed their camera system) and the pricing is around the same as other body shops here. Just had a Journey fender done.

Price was around $1300, with a new door and painted, or a auto salvage yard had a used, black door off a 05 from Texas (Im in Canada) the dealer told me about, and what yard had it.
Door cost $500cad, Came with no rust, some minor marks and The Factory Tint window, Interior Plastic and Hinges, so now I have a spare window and set of hinges.
Door took about a hour to clean the salvage yard writing off of, and about 10 minutes to swap out 2 bolts and 2 nuts.
But now my rear bumper has a huge chuck taken out of it, rusted paper thin then bumped a snow bank.

Old Door

Didnt get any pics of the work, but very straight forward.
Took the hinges off the new door, Unbolt the old door at the hinges, door side. Then bolt on new door. The Door side of the hinges is Non-Adjustable, as the 2 bolts on the door fit into the hinges perfectly, then 2 bolts.
To remove the truck side of the hinges requires taking the interior apart as it has bolts from the hinge side into the truck, and some from the inside of the truck out.

Old 03-18-2015, 06:27 AM
h2ogunr
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have always filled my doors with oil. man that is a sad site

Old 03-18-2015, 06:58 AM
Reject
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by h2ogunr
i have always filled my doors with oil. man that is a sad site
I coated the new door, and passenger rears with undercoating. I originally thought the window might have leaked, but it wasn't, it took abit to get the old one out of the door, 6 Bolts and a glue/rubber seal.

It started mid-summer as some paint bubbling, then about a week or so ago, i flaked some rust off and bam hole. My box is shot with rust aswell, I could a replacement off the same truck as the door for $2100, just cant afford it right now.

Old 03-18-2015, 09:07 AM
pierrejoly
Veteran
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

So Reject, is the rust issue worse for you because you are right on the ocean? my truck only sees salt in winter (lost and lots of salt during winter) and i don't have such a rusting issue. It is a newer truck but even the older Daks up where i am don't seem to have such a rusting issue unless something gets through the paint and water can then get to the metal directly. And from what i see it is mostly around the fenders that we get issues up here, which leads me to believe that it is mostly from road debris.

Old 03-18-2015, 12:49 PM
Reject
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by pierrejoly
So Reject, is the rust issue worse for you because you are right on the ocean? my truck only sees salt in winter (lost and lots of salt during winter) and i don't have such a rusting issue. It is a newer truck but even the older Daks up where i am don't seem to have such a rusting issue unless something gets through the paint and water can then get to the metal directly. And from what i see it is mostly around the fenders that we get issues up here, which leads me to believe that it is mostly from road debris.

I think its a combo, the truck was mostly inland where they don't use salt for roads because of wells (other then highway) and not to close to the water for most of its life, not to say it never went there.

The box is a poor design dodge hasnt even fixed on even 2015 Rams from what i can see on my works one. Its the pinch weld for the wheel wells that causes it they rust from the inside out, and mostly due to salt in winter here, we use literally tons and tons of it.
The rust was made worse on the inside of the box by the drop-in plastic liner it had.

The door im not sure why it rusted, I originally thought a leak from the window, but it was fine.

But most Dakotas and Rams here have the Box Rust problems, My old 2k had it as-well.

Ive had the Lower Radiator support rust off, the Box, Door and bumper all rust.

Old 03-18-2015, 04:31 PM
h2ogunr
Rookie

i went a step further after seeing some of the wheel well rust on this forum. i got a disposable toliet brush and 2 tubes of grease slathered that crap all up in my back wheel wells. maybe it will prevent, maybe not. i feel as good as i can having done this as well as 2 cans of clp in the bottoms of the doors to stop it in the future.

i bet when it gets hot this summer grease is gonna drip out of the pinch welds. lol

pretty weird how its always the passenger side wheel well that goes first.

modern autos seem to be money pits only to be disposed of at some point. **** me off

Old 03-18-2015, 09:13 PM
archemedes74
Veteran

mine came from Michigan, and has rust now that it's down here in Alabama (both rear wheel openings, and both drivers side doors) but I can get a bed near me for $750

Old 03-18-2015, 10:39 PM
Reject
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by archemedes74
mine came from Michigan, and has rust now that it's down here in Alabama (both rear wheel openings, and both drivers side doors) but I can get a bed near me for $750
Your lucky, ive found 2 beds, a brown one for $1600, and a Black one from the same truck as my new door (from texas) for $2100

Quick Reply: Replaced LR Door