3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Tires tires and more tires

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2015, 08:35 PM
garryburrell
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tires tires and more tires

So I am doing the contral arms ball joints sway bar bushing and end links this week end. And I am going to need to get some new tires . So I am asking what tires you guy are running if you like them? And are they getting the miles you were told they would get?

Old 04-28-2015, 07:58 AM
pierrejoly
Veteran
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I run the general grabber AT2 and love it, but next time I'm going with Goodyear Durotrac. I've had the AT2 for over 2 years and I fing the wear to be about right. They are aggressive enough but quiet enough at the same time. I just want something more aggressive next time. Living in Northeastern Ontario, I need a good set of tires for snow and ice without getting dedicated snow tires and both these selections are great choices for that.

But it really depends on what you are looking for in a tire and the size. At 245/75r16 or 30.5", the grabbers look great, but go just a bit bigger, like 265/75r16 or just shy of 32", the grabbers don't look so great but the durotrac or the BF Goodrich KM2 start looking great. This has to do with the size of the pattern elements and the voids. Some tires look better when small others when bigger. Once you figure out two or three sets to look at, try and find a truck that has them on in the size you want and go from there.

Old 04-28-2015, 09:26 AM
transamlover50259
Rookie

When I bought my truck last year it had a set of Cooper Discoverer AT3's on it, I really liked them. Tomorrow I'm getting a set of Mastercraft Courser AXT's installed... I hope I like them as much as I liked the Coopers. I'm also getting an alignment done, between a bad wheel bearing and the alignment the last tires should have lasted about ten times as long as they did.

Old 04-28-2015, 09:48 AM
dakotaff
Champion
Received 81 Likes on 78 Posts

GoodYear Duratrac on my truck, really liking them. Great in the snow, better than the Cooper Zeon LTZ that I had on my 20's. Both look good and have some minimal road noise, not bad at all though. Haven't put many miles on either set, so I can't advise on their longevity.

26cb020f-162b-4a31-a39a-c3a0f30e9406.jpg
100_1029.jpg

Last edited by dakotaff; 04-28-2015 at 09:51 AM.
Old 04-28-2015, 02:02 PM
bchapin05
Professional

I have the Wrangler Duratracs as well. They look aggressive but wear well, ride good, and handle good. When I got mine they had just came out with the Euro rated passenger Duratrac which I got. It has a 50k mile warranty.

Old 04-29-2015, 03:25 AM
italiandominator
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Been running a set of BFG TAKO's for almost 3 years now. I rotated them as recommended, made sure my alignment was always good, plus been upgrading my suspension all the while.

They've lasted longer than expected, but I have to be honest with ya... About 2 years ago I had a fender bender that swiped the drivers side of the truck. Insurance was awesome about the whole deal, which ended up with them replacing both after market wheels and tires. Fortunately, one of the wheels was perfectly sound, just roughed up; plus, both tires that were replaced were fine also. So, just before this last winter when I was going to rotate the tires once again, I realized that both tires on the passenger side (the originals) really didn't have much tread life left on them (after ~ 40K miles), in contrast to the ones that were replaced from the accident (difference of ~ 15K miles). So, I grabbed the ones that came off after the accident (which had at least 95% tread) and swapped everything around to put the "new" tires in the rear, the next best 2 up front, and put the better of the 2 remaining on the scraped wheel to have as a full size spare.

Overall, I really like them. The look is nice, the ride is good, limited noise (can't really tell over my exhaust), great in the rain, pretty good in the snow, can definitely handle a heavy load, really strong with a few times that I caught a piece of metal etc they never got punctured, and they've lasted longer than expected.

Downside... They were very expensive (~$1,200 for the set, with s/h, mounted and balanced), didn't handle as well in the snow as I would have hoped (agressive tread can tend to trap snow ... as well as gravel etc), showed signs of cupping after about 18 months.

I should be good for at least another year, maybe more if I end up getting some good snow tires for my OEM rims for the winter... But unless I'm sitting on a fat wad of cash or I find a great deal on a used set with >90% tread; I'm thinking I might go with a set of Duratracs myself.

Old 04-29-2015, 06:55 AM
garryburrell
Rookie

Thanks guy. I will look into the duratracs for my next set of tires. Dakotaff in the second pic, were did you get the rear mud flip that looks like the OEM for the front. All of the truck look great hope to get mine looking this good someday.

Old 04-29-2015, 08:37 AM
dakotaff
Champion
Received 81 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by garryburrell
Thanks guy. I will look into the duratracs for my next set of tires. Dakotaff in the second pic, were did you get the rear mud flip that looks like the OEM for the front. All of the truck look great hope to get mine looking this good someday.
I got them from Wyckoff Chrysler Parts, which had great prices on parts. Unfortunately they are out of business.
They come black as shown, I just painted them to match.

<b>Rear splash guards</b> Rear splash guards

Old 04-29-2015, 06:55 PM
garryburrell
Rookie

Thanks for the link dakotaff

Old 05-02-2015, 07:02 PM
garryburrell
Rookie

Well I got started at 11 am and got done at 3 pm. I did the upper control arms, lower ball joints (with out the press, and that is a b!!ch) end links and the sway bar bushings. I also checked the inner and outer tie rods. They were good.as was the hubs. Bad news is the struts need replaced. So I will get them and then get tires and a alignment next mouth.thanks for all of your help guys!

Quick Reply: Tires tires and more tires