3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Camber bushing squeak

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2015, 03:20 PM
racer768
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Camber bushing squeak

Hi there...first of all, Hello! I've been a longtime lurker and this place has been awesome for help. I'm currently in the process for prepping my 2005 SLT QC 4.7 4x4 for sale and I have one arch enemy. My passenger side camber bushing is squeaking like crazy when hitting bumps etc. It just started last week after I changed the tie rod ends and now this! I'm pretty sure I've isolated it to this bushing since I've sprayed some white lithium grease on it and it helps, but it's most definitely still there. Short of changing it, any suggestions?

I was really hoping to be able to get this truck gone soon since I need a more family friendly car, but this definitely hurts the sale process.

Old 07-06-2015, 03:30 PM
projektdirtfab
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Our trucks use the lower control arms to adjust camber so if by camber bushing you mean the control arm bushing?

I believe some have attempted to press the old bushing out and put new ones in. After all that cussing and labor it might be cheaper to just slap a whole new control arm in it.

Old 07-06-2015, 03:33 PM
racer768

yes, i do mean the bushing on the control arm.

Old 07-06-2015, 03:36 PM
racer768

And one follow-up. How hard of a job is it to replace the control arm.

Old 07-06-2015, 04:11 PM
bchapin05
Professional

I haven't changed the arms so I dont know exactly on that. But I have lifted the front and then installed struts later so I've had the front end apart twice. First time doing the lift took forever. Figured out how to do it easily eventually and the 2nd time was much much faster. I think I could do it pretty quick and easy now.

As long as your bolts come out I dont think it would be too bad. Mine all came off easy.

Also have an extremely annoying squeak going on with mine but I believe it to be the strut top bolt not being tight enough.

Old 07-06-2015, 05:14 PM
i.who.made.you
Professional

Try taking weight off of the bushing then sticking a grease gun needle between the bushing and CA metal. Or use WD40 Penetrant Spray (or any penetrating oil) to try to get all the way inside; however, the penetrating oil will only last a week or two max.

Old 07-08-2015, 11:01 AM
racer768

So here is the next chapter to this drama.

Yesterday, the entire front end started squeaking. I mean, it felt like every bushing was squeaking, creaking or grinding. Almost to the point that I don't really want to drive it even though I know it's not going to fall apart. After this happened, I got to thinking a bit and I find hard to believe that all of a sudden, the whole front end is doing this. Oh, and it only started after I change the passenger side tie rod 2 weeks ago which I can tell that as much as I tried to keep the front end straight, it seems to be out of alignment.

So my question is, could it be that changing the tie rod and the alignment has messed up the geometry in a way that it is putting different stress on the bushings and causing it to act up like this? My brain tells me that this could be it giving the timing of it all but I just don't have that much experience with things like this so maybe this is wishful thinking.

So my plan is to replace the driver side tie rod end this evening and take it for an alignment tomorrow.

Curious to hear feedback from those who have an educated thought on this. And feel free to tell me that this is just a good dream but considering the facts and the sequence of these events, it seems justifiable in my mind.

Thanks.

Quick Reply: Camber bushing squeak