3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

09 Dakota Rear Air Bag Suspension

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2015, 07:13 PM
Sydeshow
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 09 Dakota Rear Air Bag Suspension

Hey guys I just bought a 24' camper.

I am going to need some air bags for the rear.

I have seen a couple styles, the one that mounts to the front of the ubolts and bolts to the side of the frame.

And the one that mounts on top of the ubolts and bolts into the side of the frame.

My question is, has anyone tried these? are they any good? being bolted to the side of the frame, looks silly and not as strong as if it were bolted to the axle and mounted under the frame.

Anyone know any info on this?

Old 08-29-2015, 04:43 PM
pierrejoly
Veteran
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

it's been a few days without an answer, so here goes my best guess. I did a bit of research on this when i had my Dak so it's an educated guess... i guess.

So, the under the frame over axle type of airbags like on full size trucks have a minimum distance between the frame and axle that they need in order to properly fit and function correctly. the distance on the dak is not enough to make it work correctly. The ones that mount to the side of the frame work for their function, to add to the spring rate to level the truck after putting too much weight in the box or something a little too heavy hitched to the truck.

In your case, i hope you get a brake controller to help stop your trailer when you need it to stop. And don't expect the air bags to add to the towing that you can do. Keep it safe and don't go over your truck's towing capacity. The airbag is only to help keep the truck level, not to add capacity... i know i already said that, but to keep you, and the other drivers on the road, safe, i felt like i had to repeat myself.

Old 08-30-2015, 11:53 PM
djsilverjohnson
Rookie
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have the Firestone bags where the bottom mounts to the axle and the top mounts to a bracket bolted on the outboard side of the frame rail. That's the only way to get the clearance on the Dakota. I air them up when towing and vent them down to minimum when not. The only downside is that they do limit droop on the rear suspension.

Quick Reply: 09 Dakota Rear Air Bag Suspension