3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Intermittent nasty hard shift/lunge/buck

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2015, 06:19 AM
KRBIII
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intermittent nasty hard shift/lunge/buck

Hey folks, I'm somewhat of a new Mopar owner --at least any of the newer models. I've owned a few older models in the past. I've been looking for a small truck lately and thought I had found a gem with a 2005 Dakota SLT 4.7 V8/Auto 545rfe. It has 88K on it, has all service records and was a one owner vehicle.

The test drive went fine and so I picked it up from a reputable dealer.

Well, the very next day the first drive I take it on after about 10-15 minutes or so I notice a really nasty lunge. I am inclined to think it's transmission related but I really don't know - it just feels like it's the transmission shifting SUPER hard. So hard in fact I feel as if my fillings could be loose now or if it continues to do it something is definitely going to snap. The first time it occurred I was only doing 10-15MPH. I pulled out to make a right and stop at a red light but as I approached (before I came to a stop) the light turned and I proceeded to accelerate out. As I started to accelerate I felt the nasty lunge. (it's like something is binding, maybe super high trans. line pressure I have no idea) So today (only the 2nd time I've driven it) it did it again at about 50MPH I was cruising down the highway at just about 50MPH when all of a sudden it did it again only this time was much more severe (I assume due to speed?) like someone rammed the back of the truck. After this occurs the thing runs, drives and shifts normally. So far I have only had it do it once per drive cycle but I haven't driven it much.

Needless to say I think it's going to have to go back to the dealer as there is a 3 month warranty but I'm afraid they will check it over and give it the thumbs up. Being intermittent is NOT going to make this process easy. There are no codes (I have a basic ODB cable) and sensor data seems to be correct from what I can see from the PIDs anyway.

From what I can tell otherwise the trans is shifting at the right times and smoothly aside from this nasty lunge/buck/shift or whatever it is. I have all the service records and the trans had it's fluid and filters done twice in it's life, last time at 67K. Fluid is very clean, full and bright red. Only thing I've done to the truck is pull the battery to clean the posts and terminals (There was a small amount of corrosion on the + terminal which I cleaned. After replacing the battery I let the truck find it's idle (which it did) and that was it.

I'm sort of at a loss here. Dodge is new to me but I am very mechanically inclined. Are there any things I can test and/or look over on my own before I go back to the dealer? I'm really worried I'm going to get the run-a-round from them or they will conveniently never experience the issue. I'm trying to keep my cool but I'm really upset here.

I've done a ton of research on this topic as there is a lot to read about harsh shifting but nothing fits quite in with hat I'm experiencing - especially considering that all else seems ok. All gears seem to come in at the right times and I'm not sensing any delays or erratic shifts otherwise. It seems pretty random but then again I haven't driven it much I'm a bit afraid to do so considering how violent the lunge is. I really don't know...

Does it make sense the electronics are momentarily losing control of the trans and so it defaults to high line pressure to shift but then it regains control?!

Old 10-21-2015, 04:59 PM
erau
Veteran
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Are you using an oem transmission filter?

Old 10-21-2015, 09:47 PM
KRBIII

Originally Posted by erau
Are you using an oem transmission filter?
As far as I know it was. It was last done at 67K by a Dodge dealer so I can only assume they were OEM filters. Like I said I have the service records and everything, I mean everything that's recommended seems to have been done generally around the correct mileage. Thanks for the reply but why do you ask?

Old 10-21-2015, 10:32 PM
Jaded
Record Breaker
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

My only suggestion is a CPU reset. Other than that, take advantage of the warranty.

Old 10-22-2015, 04:46 AM
KRBIII

Is that just a disconnect-battery-for-a-while thing? I'm quite sure the dealer is where this is going to be going just not looking forward to the headache. I can see it now... dealer can't recreate issue and says all is well. I mean otherwise, everything else seems fine really. I "did" have the battery out for about 4 hours when I first got it home for some cleaning so I was hoping that perhaps the trans. was relearning. I suppose I'll make it a point to drive it more and see if I can pin point anything but I'm sure I'll likely have to deal with the dealer on this. I'd really like to dig in further mechanically but don't want to mess around too much and void the warranty by doing so.

Quick Reply: Intermittent nasty hard shift/lunge/buck