3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

New head unit Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2011 | 09:20 AM
geofft225
|
Rookie
Default New head unit Recommendations

Title explains it.

I have the stock 1 disk with aux plug in and i am looking for better sound from my radio. I mostly listen to my ipod and the radio, occasionally a CD, but never satellite radio. I have a 8" bazooka tube connected and wonder if that would cause any problems. Also last time i had a sound system mod installed i payed a lot more than i thought, so how hard would it be to do it myself. Anything would help. Thanks.

Old 11-14-2011 | 01:28 PM
Dakota_05
Amateur

I have this one. It's sweet, has bluetooth and is pandora ready for like iPhones. The only bad thing is that the auxiliary plug is in the back of the unit. I'd just search Crutchfield. you can choose your vehicle specifically and it'll tell you what fits and whatnot. Kenwood is my opinion all the way. http://www.crutchfield.com/p_113BT948HD/Kenwood-KDC-BT948HD.html?tp=5684&nvpair=FFBrand|Kenwood&nvpair =AG_Type|ffCD_Receiver
oh, and it's really pretty easy to install the head unit, the hardest part is probably the dash kit.

Last edited by Dakota_05; 11-14-2011 at 01:30 PM.
Old 11-14-2011 | 01:38 PM
Cuban11182
All Star

I'd like to get one for my truck too, but I have the factory Uconnect with the mirror. I'd like to get a different head unit so I can install a backup camera also, but don't want to have a mirror with buttons that don't do anything. If someone wants to trade their auto dimming mirror for my auto dimming mirror w/ my uconnect module, lets do it!

Old 11-14-2011 | 01:50 PM
dakotaff
Champion

I have a Pioneer head unit, DEH 2100IB. The Ipod plugs into a wire which runs into the rear of the unit. The Ipod turns on and off, and is charged while the unit is on. You hide the Ipod away and never see it. There is a remote which controls the Ipod, so you don't see the Ipod at all, I kinda forget that it's there. There is also an AUX input 3.5mm plug in the front. I also have a amplified 8" Bazooka tube and the system sounds awesome. Everything is controlled with the remote, I almost never even touch the head unit.

DakRadio1-1.jpg
DakRadio2.jpg
DakRadio3.jpg

I would definitely get a head unit that charges and controls your Ipod.

Old 11-14-2011 | 06:03 PM
geofft225
|
Rookie

Yeah i actually got the idea of it from you dakotaff haha. I have the same set up with it coming out of the c pillar.

Old 10-10-2015 | 12:21 PM
wingerak92
Captain

Okay. I am reviving an old thread here. This is the closest I could find in the search to what I was looking for.
I have a first world problem in my 08. I have the RER head unit with Uconnect, but the bluetooth does not stream music from my phone. It just does phone functions. I do have the auxiliary port but I do not like having cables hanging everywhere.
I got spoiled with my last two vehicles (2014 Mitsubishi RVR and 2012 RAM Power Wagon) where I had that functionality.
I bought this truck used and it has a back-up camera on the license plate. There are some RCA cables in the passenger side footwell (right along the centre console cup holder) that I am assuming are for the back-up camera.
It does have GPS Nav, which I would like to have as well as I travel a lot (1000 miles/week for work). I do not need the satellite radio though.
For music I use Google Play so I actually have no music stored on my phone.
I am looking for head unit recommendations for that.
As a side note, I run a limited corporation so *most* modifications to my truck are write-offs. So I am not necessarily looking for a screaming deal price-wise. Within reason.

Old 10-10-2015 | 05:55 PM
wingerak92
Captain

Also, I have a male USB connector in my glovebox. I do not know what it is for.

Old 10-12-2015 | 06:59 PM
keithhud
Professional
Default I have the same truck

I just replaced my Jensen 9424 Nav unit with a Pioneer AVH-X2700BS. I like the unit however if I hadn't got it at such a good price I would have held out and got the Pioneer AVH-410NEX instead since it uses Android's new Android Auto and Apple CarPlay.

Something to consider is there is a metal support bar that you will have to remove in order to install a Double Din radio if that is route you are going.

Are you planning on installing it yourself or having a shop do it? I installed mine myself and it took me a couple of hours to do it and that was including running the wires for the back-up camera and cutting out the metal support so the radio would fit.

Like Dakota_05 says, Crutchfield is a great place to spec out a unit and they will also include a list of all the accessories you will need to install the unit.

Hope this helps.

Old 10-12-2015 | 09:29 PM
ForkliftJeff
Rookie

I did a little write up on installing a stereo in my 2008. I was able to bend the tabs on the metal bracket so I did not have to remove it or cut it. It was quite easy to install. My thread is called "Double Din Install in 2008 Dakota". I couldn't figure out how to copy a link using my phone so just search for it. It's in the 3rd gen area. Hope it helps you during your install.

Old 10-13-2015 | 10:47 PM
wingerak92
Captain

Originally Posted by ForkliftJeff
I did a little write up on installing a stereo in my 2008. I was able to bend the tabs on the metal bracket so I did not have to remove it or cut it. It was quite easy to install. My thread is called "Double Din Install in 2008 Dakota". I couldn't figure out how to copy a link using my phone so just search for it. It's in the 3rd gen area. Hope it helps you during your install.
I actually read it. I don't remember the dates on it though.
Have you had it in for long?
Have you had many rattles or anything after your install?
and Thanks for the other post. I will look that one up. I already have the wires for the back-up camera right up to the radio already.
I do plan on installing it myself. I like to be thrifty when I can.
I did some looking on Crutchfield and it looks like the Kenwoods at least run for 1300 and up. Around town here they run at around 1600. Haha. THat was with NAV

Quick Reply: New head unit Recommendations