3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Rear Main Seal

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2015, 10:58 AM
bchapin05
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Main Seal

So I go to get my oil changed and the shop I go to who is ridiculously horrible at recommending everything short of an entire truck rebuild every time you go in there said I need a rear main seal ($750). I never believe them as they said I needed ball joints 2 months after I had replaced the ball joints, and told my dad he needed them as well. He took his Ram to Dodge who said it doesn't. He then told the shop who claimed they don't care what Dodge says it needs them anyways.

Anyways my truck has 115k on the 3.7. Hasn't typically leaked at all I can normally go 5k and still be full on the oil stick. However bought a new house which has a steeper driveway and noticed oil on the driveway after the shop mentioned the seal and in 2 weeks since the oil change I'm down half a quart. Realized it has to do with parking on a hill. If I back in it doesn't leak, if I park on the road where its flat it doesn't leak.

Has anyone replaced one? How difficult on a 2wd? And would you even worry about it and replace it or just stop parking forward on the driveway?

Old 10-26-2015, 12:05 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 349 Likes on 310 Posts

Typically the same on all engines, gotta remove the transmission. If you can do that, it's like a $10 part. The cost is in all the labor to remove the trans, You could try another place, especially if you don't like the place you are using.

Old 10-26-2015, 01:37 PM
bchapin05
Professional

Yeah I'm sure I could get cheaper calling around they are just close to my work thus why I still go there and just ignore their $800-$2700 quotes every time. Tempted to just leave it for now and just not park on a hill since it doesn't leak then. If I do it anything else you would replace since you already removed the tranny? Maybe throw a new clutch in I was thinking.

Old 10-26-2015, 03:22 PM
Mark2002

If it isn't leaking on flat or when you back it in just switch to a thicker oil and let it go.

Quick Reply: Rear Main Seal