3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Destroyed my crank

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2016, 12:00 AM
i.who.made.you
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Destroyed my crank

Oil pump failed. Spun the bearings in the rods and destroyed the crank. Such fun. Driving my old work truck reminded me of how much I love my Dak. My s****y s****y s****y Dak...

Old 02-23-2016, 03:10 PM
projektdirtfab
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hemi time.

Old 02-23-2016, 05:27 PM
donkeypunch
King Jackass
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

^^^^ I concur....

Old 02-23-2016, 10:29 PM
i.who.made.you
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by projektdirtfab
Hemi time.
I frigin wish. I looked into it and if the rods were unusable or the cylinder walls damaged I was going to get one as they are actually no more expensive than a remanufactured 4.7L. But luckily, or unluckily since I really want a 5.7L, the cylinder walls are ok and the rods are a bit out of round but not too bad. I actually have it all put back together. I went from the engine sitting in the garage Sunday morning to running in my truck that night. The original crank was so damaged Spartan Crank (Spartangurg, SC) wouldn't touch it saying it needed to be machined down more than 30 thou and the rear seal surface was grooved badly too. I would post pictures of the original but I turned it in for the core charge before I got some shots of it. It was bad. Thing runs now but I'm terrified its going to destroy itself if I go over 4,000 RMP. I put an actual oil pressure sensor and gauge in so I know exactly whats going on though. Not sure how long this half done rebuild will last so I'm going start putting away money for a new engine each month in hopes of doing a hemi swap if this 4.7L dies again. So much for doing long travel this summer.

Quick Reply: Destroyed my crank