3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Front end clunk fixed

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2016, 02:38 PM
black91gs
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front end clunk fixed

I was experiencing a clunk in the front end every time I hit a bump. I would also hear a loud click when ever I applied the brakes. Now the interesting part is the clunk would not happen over the same bumps with slight pressure on the brake pedal. This lead me to believe it had to do with the brakes.

I finally deduced that the spring clips were not working how they should. So do to my improper installation the clips were rendered useless. When I did my brakes I flared out the spring clips to get those dang things in. Mind you I was replacing pads without taking the caliper off the mounting bracket. It is much easier to take the whole assembly apart to install the pads and keep the clips in form.

So I took the clips off and with some needle nose pliers bent them back into shape. Reinstalled and took a test drive. No more clunk or click!

Old 03-14-2016, 12:23 AM
travle
Amateur
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I might need to look into this. I have the same thing every time I hit a good enough bump. I have replaced everything on the front end besides the upper ball joints and I really don't feel those are bad. The passenger side is the main noise maker and it is very annoying.

Old 03-14-2016, 02:09 PM
bain64
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats man, thanks for documenting too. I still need to change out struts, shocks and ball joints to (hopefully) clear up the rest of the stock front suspension

Quick Reply: Front end clunk fixed