3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

545rfe gear searching when I should be in overdrive

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2016, 03:41 AM
sethgtrx4
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 545rfe gear searching when I should be in overdrive

hey whats going on guys,

I couldn't find specifics on the subject so here it goes with what I'm experiencing. My truck turned into a second vehicle within the last 6 months therefore it sits more often. I still drive it once a week to the store and back to keep fluids moving. I recently moved my ex gf out of my house. I towed a small u-haul trailer (single axle) in tow-haul mode. No problems. 2 days later We do another trip not towing. (trip is only 10-14 mi one direction with top speed of 45-50mph) On the way back (truck is empty) it cant for the life of it stay in overdrive. It normally goes into overdrive once I hit 40 mph and stays around 1500-1750 depends on speed between 40-55 or so. Keep in mind that I recently just put on mud terrains slightly bigger than stock. 265/75/16. putting the tires on I noticed that it was more difficult to keep the truck at speed but that's expected with more rolling resistance.

I hope with this info we can all figure out whats goin on. To add another wrench into the mix, I very recently did a trans service due to that pesky trans temp light. I replaced the solenoid pack in the trans along with a new PCM under the hood. I have 92700mi on the truck currently, with this service performed at 83381mi in june of 2015. A little over a year, and im looking at servicing the trans again? Super Lame...this especially sucks when Im wanting to sell the truck to get into something bigger. I want to get the most money I can in the private party market. And as always, Thank you in advance for any advice. Hopefully I can figure this out...hell maybe Ill disconnect the battery cable and wa-la...we'll see.

Old 11-11-2016, 10:34 PM
sethgtrx4
Professional

I have an appointment with the same transmission shop that did the repair last year. ill keep the forum posted as I know more. I'm still welcoming any one that can chime in!

Old 11-15-2016, 12:33 PM
sethgtrx4
Professional

After visiting with my transmission shop, its a slight possibility that it could be the torque converter not locking properly causing a 200 rpm jump back and forth at 40-55mph. But the other posibility and cheaper one, is hopefully a throttle body sensor. we'll see.

Old 11-15-2016, 01:05 PM
pierrejoly
Veteran
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

i'm happy that you have two possible answers. i was following your thread in interest. i didn't have anything to offer for help. I must say that your truck is very nice with those wheels and tires. I've always had a soft spot for that grey. I prefer the 08 and up fender and hood style but still a great looking truck.

Old 11-15-2016, 09:45 PM
sethgtrx4
Professional

Originally Posted by pierrejoly
i'm happy that you have two possible answers. i was following your thread in interest. i didn't have anything to offer for help. I must say that your truck is very nice with those wheels and tires. I've always had a soft spot for that grey. I prefer the 08 and up fender and hood style but still a great looking truck.

thank you sir. I appreciate the feedback. Ill probably grab a sensor later on in the week and I hope it fixes the issue. I was getting nervous when the shop told me about the torque converter being the cause...well see.

here is the most recent look for my truck...my signature is old. Thanks for the compliments!

IMG_20160524_124221_zpsd7xh14bb.jpg

Last edited by sethgtrx4; 11-15-2016 at 09:48 PM.
Old 12-31-2016, 03:16 PM
jfotsch
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sethgtrx4
After visiting with my transmission shop, its a slight possibility that it could be the torque converter not locking properly causing a 200 rpm jump back and forth at 40-55mph. But the other posibility and cheaper one, is hopefully a throttle body sensor. we'll see.

Hey sethgtrx4; I was snooping in the durango forum because a lot of our parts are the same and noticed you mentioned you had a transmission shop. I am also in vegas and was curious who you use. It is really hard to find a shop or mechanic you can trust here. I have started doing my own trans maintenance over the last few years because of this problem.
They were not changing the O-ring seat at the top of the filter into the trans and it was causing some problems for me.
Also curious what kind of temps you get in our traffic here?
I have my temp sensor in the hot line coming out of the trans up to the factory cooler that comes with the tow package and stop and go if I am driving aggressively will see around 200-210 during the summer. That is the hottest point and why I put the sensor manifold where I did. Heat is the enemy with these transmissions.
Have had my truck since 05 here in vegas and it has always been a very good runner and dependable. No major repairs other than my rear diff went out and I had Dan's driveline put in a Detroit TT for me for 1500 bucks.

Thanks,

Old 01-04-2017, 07:43 PM
sethgtrx4
Professional

Originally Posted by jfotsch
Hey sethgtrx4; I was snooping in the durango forum because a lot of our parts are the same and noticed you mentioned you had a transmission shop. I am also in vegas and was curious who you use. It is really hard to find a shop or mechanic you can trust here. I have started doing my own trans maintenance over the last few years because of this problem.
They were not changing the O-ring seat at the top of the filter into the trans and it was causing some problems for me.
Also curious what kind of temps you get in our traffic here?
I have my temp sensor in the hot line coming out of the trans up to the factory cooler that comes with the tow package and stop and go if I am driving aggressively will see around 200-210 during the summer. That is the hottest point and why I put the sensor manifold where I did. Heat is the enemy with these transmissions.
Have had my truck since 05 here in vegas and it has always been a very good runner and dependable. No major repairs other than my rear diff went out and I had Dan's driveline put in a Detroit TT for me for 1500 bucks.

Thanks,

Hey there, Ive used Competition trans. Theyre on west Cheyenne ave. The owner/operator is great and honest. To update this thread, my problem ended up being a throttle position sensor. Thank god. To your other comments about heat...I never had any issues with the transmission getting hot. I have a extended pan, along with a daisy chained aux cooler with 10in fan. When I had my service done, I figured I might as well "overkill it" with cooling. In the summer time my temp gauge would read above the half way point. It seems like all these 4.7l have the issue with getting hot no matter what. My next plan of attack was to get a universal rad built....but I decided to sell the truck and get a diesel...hopefully sometime soon.

Old 01-04-2017, 08:17 PM
jfotsch
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the reply and the info on your trans shop. I will check them out.
I don't think my trans has ever gotten hot but was surprised at the actual temperatures coming out of the trans going to the extra radiator for the tow package. Now I just don't push it so hard when it is 115 degrees here. It keeps a steady 50 degrees over ambient on the highway.
Good luck with the diesel. I had a 98 cummins with a 6 speed manual and it was a very nice Laramie short bed but I got angry over the costs to maintain properly and sold it in 2001. I had no idea how much those trucks were going to go up in price. You cannot even find one like it for under 15k and that is with over 200k miles on it. If I had only known. I didn't even get 15k for the truck when I sold it with 75k.

Thanks,
jfotsch

OEM off-road 17's, BFG LT's, Airraid CAI, Cortex 3950, Magnaflow Y-pipe, Detroit TT, Mag Hytec trans and rear, SRT A-pillar w/trans temp, 190 T-stat, Pwr Stop drilled/slotted all 4, pwr wire, grnd TB