3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

DS708 scanner Transmission question

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2016, 10:16 AM
Soco3087
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DS708 scanner Transmission question

Ok guys I need some help. I have a 08 Dakota quad cab 62,000 miles, 4x4 v8 with a 545rfe transmission. I have a Autel DS708 scanner and I have been using it to troubleshoot what I feel is a delayed shift of my transmission. Now I hook the scanner up got into live data and pull up all the transmission related data. Now the does tool display whether I am in park reverse nutral or drive. But when I go to the present gear, and target gear data all I get is N/A. Is anyone familiar with this and know if maybe I am doing something worng or if that n/a I see is the transmission problem I might be feeling and if so what might it be. I am new to this scanner I know it's more for professional but I got it at a great deal so I figure give it a try. So if I'm doing it worng let me know please. Thanks

Old 11-15-2016, 01:01 PM
pierrejoly
Veteran
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

did you upgrade to the latest software? there might be a compatability issue with the current software and the transmission that the data is not available on that software version.

have your reset your PCM (disconnect the battery for about 30 minutes) and seen if that made a difference?

also, are you having a delayed shift on all gears, or just one? in either case, it could very well be the shift solenoid.

Old 11-15-2016, 02:53 PM
Soco3087
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The scanner is all updated with the latest software. I was able to preform a 1st gear RFE test and that was able to show me gear position so I was able to drive and test it in that mode but it still would not work looking at it in live data mode. I did reset the pcm and the Ecu and still nothing. After going out on the test drive I was able to find out that my truck does not seem to want to down shift from 3rd to 2nd gear. It's an intermittent connection but it happens all the time when going up a hill. It will go through 1st , 2nd, and 3rd but when you start to climb it never go back down to 2nd and the truck falls flat. Any clues what controls this and how I might be able to fix it. I have no cel and everything else is working normal and reads ok on the scanner so I know it's not a hard fail yet. Any ideas would help.