3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Front end screech

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2016, 05:57 PM
baross1
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front end screech

I need some opinions before I go to my mechanic.
Today I went to leave for work and noticed a screeching noise when I turned the wheel to the right leaving the driveway. Never heard this before. While driving at slower speeds, I noticed every time I turn to the right, it is making this noise. From inside the truck it just sounds like its coming from the front.
When I came home I had my wife turn the wheel while I listened. Noise seems to be coming from the right wheel or right behind the wheel. No noise when you turn left, just right.
Going to check it out better tomorrow. Guess I will have to visit my dreaded mechanic on Monday. Hate that visit more than the dentist.

Old 12-25-2016, 10:09 AM
superdak05
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

wheel bearing or a dragging brake pad

Old 12-25-2016, 08:12 PM
baross1
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Update

Figured I would let readers know it ended up being passenger side lower ball joint. $236. Replaced with moog part, alignment and labor.
64,000 miles and so far... both sides lower ball joints and outer tie rods. Drivers side hub. Front ends aren't that great on these trucks. Also mechanic showed me the lower rad support is bad. Should last till spring

Old 01-03-2017, 08:43 AM
northgator8
All Star
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by baross1
Figured I would let readers know it ended up being passenger side lower ball joint. $236. Replaced with moog part, alignment and labor.
64,000 miles and so far... both sides lower ball joints and outer tie rods. Drivers side hub. Front ends aren't that great on these trucks. Also mechanic showed me the lower rad support is bad. Should last till spring

Front ends bad is not news to anyone here on this forum. $236 might be an OK price, but it can be done in about 45 minutes in your driveway, with special tools borrowed from the parts supply shop.

No need for an alignment after ball joints, but it never hurts.

There is an article on the forum about replacing the rad support, again, something you can do in your driveway.

Cheers!

Old 01-03-2017, 04:37 PM
Jaded
Record Breaker
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by northgator8
Front ends bad is not news to anyone here on this forum.
I'm still all original on mine, 126k miles. Now let me go find some wood to knock on.

Old 01-04-2017, 07:50 AM
northgator8
All Star
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaded
I'm still all original on mine, 126k miles. Now let me go find some wood to knock on.

HeHeHe That's the thing about statistics, in order to get an average, if there are some on the really low end, there will be some on the really high end.

D

Old 01-04-2017, 07:53 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 340 Likes on 303 Posts

Outliers are to be ignored......