3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

05 Dakota severe misfire

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2017, 01:19 PM
Joe ward
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05 Dakota severe misfire

Hi I have a 2005 Dakota with the 4.7 after the battery got unhooked it has a severe misfire. I've done everything I could think out with a logs list of parts starting with cam and crank sensor,tps,iac,egr,cleaned throttle body, 02 sensors, computer flash, new plugs and coils, vacuum test and fuel pressure test. It'll run great down the highway but but it sits and idles it wants to act up you can smell gas real bad when it starts missing and it'll lose spark on the either the whole left side or the whole right side and any input would be great thanks in advance

Old 01-21-2017, 07:14 PM
Deer Hunter
Veteran

How mant miles? Sounds like a cam issue, Possible timing chain.

Old 01-21-2017, 07:20 PM
Joe ward

Has 100000 but I don't understand how it was fine til battery got unhooked and after driving it down the road it clears up

Old 01-21-2017, 07:39 PM
Deer Hunter
Veteran

So you've changed all those sensors that you listed?

Old 01-21-2017, 08:15 PM
Joe ward

Yeah and I'm probably leaving something out also but I'm leaning towards the computer still but I've also done the map and ignition

Old 01-21-2017, 09:03 PM
Deer Hunter
Veteran

Sensors aren't reliable out of the box. I'm on my 4th cam sensor, one lasted only about 2 months. I actually have a new one in the glove box since I've already passed what I've experienced as typical life expectancy of my cam sensor. But at 100k I wouldn't rule out the timing chain or chain tensioner or a bad sensor out of box. Computer failure is not as common as one would think. The computer does things based on info it receives (or doesn't) from sensors. The problem most likely had nothing to do with removing the battery cable, it was just that particular components time to go to the great junkyard in the sky. From your description it sounds cam related. Get a second opinion from a mechanic (pro or shadetree) who can see and hear it live. It would help you narrow it down. But never assume it can't be this or that sensor because it was just replaced, especially if you're purchasing aftermarket, which we all do to avoid being raped by oem pricing. my 2 cents

Old 01-22-2017, 09:27 AM
Joe ward

I appreciate it and I've replaced all the sensor about times to be sure but I know the 4.7 don't like the aftermarket crank sensor so I got that one and the cam from the dealer but I also did some research and the cam and tps and map sensors all run off the same thing in the computer and should have 5v but all 3 are dead and the harness has been gone through

Old 01-24-2017, 09:24 PM
JYC

Canbus systems fluctuate between 2.5 and 5 volts it's how they communicate with the sensor. Not all meters read them properly. You may end up at the dealer with this one.

Old 01-24-2017, 11:47 PM
Sonocativo
Professional

My 05 Dakota 4.7 went all ape **** due to the battery going bad... it still started and charged but had a bad cell. Have the battery tested. Check you alternator while youre at it.

Old 01-26-2017, 12:04 PM
superdak05
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

definitely have battery checked