3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

looking for new shock/strut assembly. suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2017, 10:19 PM
Stronghand93
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default looking for new shock/strut assembly. suggestions?

Tax time coming up soon and going to replace most of suspension parts. Right now currently running most stock parts with a 3in spacer. Did not do my research before I bought and installed the spacers and learning its just tearing everything up slowly.. But what are some good options I should into.. Right now currently looking at a pro comp kit and a fox shock setup for rams that a guy told me that he installed with no problem on his dakota. Not that knowledgeable about suspension parts/ upgrades so all info would be greatly appreciated.. 2006 4.7 4x4

Old 01-25-2017, 07:56 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 340 Likes on 303 Posts

Moog suspension parts. Monroe or Rancho struts. Not aware anyone has successfully installed Ram parts on a Dakota without a lot of work.

Old 01-25-2017, 08:55 AM
dakotaff
Champion
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Yeah, Rancho & Monroe are the most popular replacement struts. And while you're working on the struts, I'd suggest getting a smaller leveling kit, max 2". Good luck fitting Ram parts on your Dakota, not sure I'd trust 'a guy'.

Old 01-25-2017, 09:07 AM
Stronghand93
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Was deffiently going with moog parts just confused on all the strut and shock stuff

Old 01-25-2017, 12:21 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 340 Likes on 303 Posts

Not too confusing, you have 4 choices. OEM, KYB, Monroe and Rancho. KYB is the OEM replacement. Monroe is a bit firmer and Rancho is the firmest. There is no aftermarket "suspension lift" for these trucks. If you are 4x4, 2" coil spring spacers in the front, lift blocks or helper springs for the rear and a 3" body lift will get you roughly 5" of lift.

Old 01-25-2017, 03:41 PM
rookie
Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

custom coilover

Old 01-26-2017, 12:07 PM
superdak05
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

go with the Monroe quick strut replacement, well worth the money and less aggravation then changing out the entire strut just to replace and rebuild.

Old 01-28-2017, 10:10 AM
Vladek
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When i did mine last summer, I used moogg complete strut assembly. I only came across three problems. 1) couldn't use spring compressor, since there wasn't enough space between coils. I used rachet straps (a death trap). 2) was a major pain in butt with 2" spacer. 3) After getting everything together, the front wheels would have major vibration when fully extended (when driving down the country hwy, hitting the little bumps and turns.) Everything was in a major bind with the 2" blocks.

After removing the lifting blocks. everything is perfect. from instulation to driving. RockAuto is where i got everything from. upper and lower ball joints, sway bar parts, tie rod ends, hub bearings, cv shafts. I did everything at once to be done with it.