3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

EGR / #7 coil melting

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2017, 09:39 AM
mja2k
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EGR / #7 coil melting

OK. I've got a good one here. I purchased a 2005 Dakota 4.7 V8 Magnum a few months ago. Had a misfire on #7. along with several EGR codes. Did a complete tune up (coils, plugs, etc)
This engine does NOT have an EGR, however, it does have the connector for it. I drove it for a day..and the #7 went again. It's actually melting. Just to try and eliminate the EGR codes since there is no where to mechanically install the EGR, I went ahead and plugged one up. Codes went away, and #7 stopped melting. Eventually i received the flow code, but it still drove good. Then i received high circuit (P0406), and #7 went again. Can't figure it out.

First question, Is this motor supposed to have an EGR, or did someone replace the head / engine?

2nd question. Why would this be happening. The truck runs fine for a short time, then the #7 coil melts.

Any advice would be great.

Old 04-19-2017, 10:39 AM
ODXBeef
Professional
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It is absolutely supposed to have an EGR it should be attached to the rear of the left cylinder head. It should be crammed back there between the back of the head and the firewall.

Old 04-20-2017, 08:13 AM
mja2k
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's what I figured....they must have replaced the head or engine. I suppose the only way to correct the EGR issue is find a head with the EGR ports and swap it. Then I'll have to figure out the meltdown, or maybe that will correct it.