3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Dakota 2005 4.7 - reving when hot weather

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2017, 10:03 AM
dodgeman1977
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kris Gevaert
Hi Folks, turns out I made an improvement on the issue but did not solve it, does anyone know the life time expectancy of parts like the water cooling pump and radiator? could it be that my engine is overheating? (12 years, 85.000miles) many thanks
I just hit 61,000 on my 2005 and I am seeing signs of a water pump gasket leak. It appears to be the gasket anyway and not the pump, but I will be replacing the pump and gasket together. I have read on here a few other members have replaced water pumps earlier than 12 years, but they had more miles than we do, so I would say it is about time for both of us.
As far as your engine overheating, what is your temp gauge sitting at? Mine is holding steady just below the halfway line.

Old 07-10-2017, 12:04 PM
Kris Gevaert

Hi DodgeMan1977, sorry for the late reply, I'm in the exact same situation, looks like a small gasket leak, but I'm guessing the pump is not working as good as it should and the radiator got clogged up over the years, guessing the bearings of the pump and alternator have seen better days, the temperature gauge is indeed hanging just below or on half way what does not look to dramatic but maybe is, have you been able to fix the problem?

Old 07-11-2017, 10:37 PM
dodgeman1977
Professional

Originally Posted by Kris Gevaert
Hi DodgeMan1977, sorry for the late reply, I'm in the exact same situation, looks like a small gasket leak, but I'm guessing the pump is not working as good as it should and the radiator got clogged up over the years, guessing the bearings of the pump and alternator have seen better days, the temperature gauge is indeed hanging just below or on half way what does not look to dramatic but maybe is, have you been able to fix the problem?
I have not worried about it yet. The temp gauge needle sitting just below the halfway mark is pretty normal. I just topped off the coolant (make sure you get the right kind) and now its motorcycle riding weather for me, so the truck will sit for the next few months. I will probably do something around October, it will be cool enough for me to work on in the driveway, and it will be time to get the truck prepped for winter driving and put the bike away.

Old 07-18-2017, 02:30 AM
dblei

Hello. Make sure the coolant you use says (HOAT) its a hybrid organic acid technology. It sounds bunk but.. a few years back I paid dearly when I unknowingly mixed regular antifreeze that was laying around in the garage, with the stuff that was in there. I had some transmissions very shortly after and the engine wouldn't hold idle. Im told (by my transmission guy) there is a ball valve in the trans cooler that got gummed up and that what started my problems, the hotter the ambient temperature the worse it got. I've known this guy for years so I hope he wouldn't steer me wrong, after a good cleaning of both the coolant system and replacing the torque converter (from heat related issues) my 05 ran just like it should. I dont know if this will help you or not. I hope you get your problem solved, Unknown issues with no codes are no fun at all.

Old 07-18-2017, 04:35 PM
erau
Veteran
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by dblei
Hello. Make sure the coolant you use says (HOAT) its a hybrid organic acid technology.
Right. Zerex G-05 is probably about the closest you can get to OEM fluid. Sold as either pre-mixed 50/50 or unmixed (make sure when mixing to use distilled/purified water).

Old 07-18-2017, 06:59 PM
dblei
Talking

Originally Posted by erau
Right. Zerex G-05 is probably about the closest you can get to OEM fluid. Sold as either pre-mixed 50/50 or unmixed (make sure when mixing to use distilled/purified water).
Right! I did use Zerex 05 yellow with distilled and because I live in Hell I added Royal Purple Ice that blends with the Zerex 05. (my buddy is a royal Purple dealer).