3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

2008 Dakota no compression cyl 5

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2017, 02:06 PM
Tempest
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 Dakota no compression cyl 5

3.7l started with rocker for # 3 came off supposedly because of back pressure from blocked cats, I got the rocker put back on changed the converters, O2 sensor down line and air temp intake drove great for an hour engine light came on, Crank position sensor changed that ran good for 30 minutes threw a p2314, p305 checked plug on 5 black and dry, changed ran good for about 30 no low compression on driverside bank. Mechanic is telling me I need a new engine Any ideas???

Old 07-14-2017, 02:11 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 334 Likes on 298 Posts

You might need a new engine if that's what they are telling you.

Old 07-14-2017, 02:35 PM
Tempest

just trying to figure out how the engine devolved so quickly

Old 07-14-2017, 02:41 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 334 Likes on 298 Posts

Blocked converters will wreak havoc on an engine,.

Old 07-15-2017, 07:03 AM
erau
Veteran
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Tempest
3.7l started with rocker for # 3 came off supposedly because of back pressure from blocked cats, I got the rocker put back on changed the converters, O2 sensor down line and air temp intake drove great for an hour engine light came on, Crank position sensor changed that ran good for 30 minutes threw a p2314, p305 checked plug on 5 black and dry, changed ran good for about 30 no low compression on driverside bank. Mechanic is telling me I need a new engine Any ideas???
Do you know specifically which cylinder on the driver-side bank now has low compression (or all of them)?

...And did they have to remove the camshaft on that side to re-seat the rocker?

Last edited by erau; 07-15-2017 at 07:08 AM.
Old 07-18-2017, 09:25 PM
Tempest

Originally Posted by erau
Do you know specifically which cylinder on the driver-side bank now has low compression (or all of them)?

...And did they have to remove the camshaft on that side to re-seat the rocker?
Cylinder 5 is the issue for low compression and they did not have to remove camshaft, since the lifter wasnt stuck is there a product I can use to restore compression

Old 07-18-2017, 10:01 PM
dodgeman1977
Professional

Cylinder 5 is the issue for low compression and they did not have to remove camshaft, since the lifter wasnt stuck is there a product I can use to restore compression
There is no miracle product to restore compression.
A leak down test could show the root cause of the low compression, such as rings, bad/scored cylinder wall, bent/stuck valve, blown gasket.

Now, I am not saying this will work on your engine, but I will tell you what I do on Outboard motors, is a small amount of oil in the trouble cylinder and do another compression test. If the compression increased with the oil, then you have a ring/cylinder wall issue. If the oil does not help, then it is probably a valve.

Old 07-19-2017, 03:24 AM
erau
Veteran
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Ok, so after the engine was running good for 30 minutes and then threw two codes as sensed by the #5 coil, the spark plug was removed and checked, and now you have low compression in that cylinder?

Without making an accusatory statement, *hypothetically* if the spark plug was not reinstalled properly (for example, if under-tightened, or over-tightened and affecting the cylinder head threads), that could lead to low compression in that cylinder.

Another possibility is that, because the spark plugs in these trucks are of the crush-washer design, if you reinstalled the same plug with the same crush washer, it may no longer sufficiently be making an adequate seal upon subsequent installation(s).

A third possibility is that at some point while the plug was out, debris fell into the spark plug well, preventing an adequate seal.