3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Stumbling at idle and at speed

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2017, 04:55 PM
erau
Veteran
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by vandykej17
​​​​​​The thing that still troubles me is there is no check engine light nor any error codes.

Thanks,
Jake
I don't believe that the TPS was designed and integrated as a sensor which can sense a position data inaccuracy and throw a code. My understanding is that whatever data (whether accurate to the actual throttle position or not) the TPS sends back to the computer (PCM), the PCM simply uses that data and regulates operating parameters accordingly.

On the other hand, if the TPS was simply not sending any data to the PCM (or data not within the correct range of the sensor), then the PCM would probably throw a code.

Originally Posted by vandykej17
I'll get the tps replaced with oem asap, because it's seeming like that is a probable cause, right?
It could be. Unfortunately, the thing about faulty micro-sensors is that the faults may or may not appear in a predictable/reliable manner.

Last edited by erau; 07-18-2017 at 05:00 PM.
Old 07-19-2017, 08:39 AM
Dakota2007
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I never received a check engine light for my TPS. I can say though when I replaced it, it made a world of difference in driveability including idle speed, transmission shifting, gas mileage, power, etc...

Old 09-10-2019, 06:43 PM
vandykej17

This issue had gone away for a couple years and is back again, I hadn't gotten the TPS replaced. Here are some new things I learned:
  • It happens between 1k and 1.5k RPMs
    • If I push harder on the throttle it can get to 2k and stop studdering
  • It happens with or without cruise on
  • It always happens after driving longer distances (I don't drive this vehicle very far)
    • It usually starts on the interstate after driving more than 20 miles
    • It will continue at lower speeds once exiting interstate.
  • If I adjust my speed on the interstate so that my throttle is barely pressed, it seems to stop

This past week I was driving on the interstate and it started happening really bad followed by my engine light flashing. Then about 30 seconds later the engine light stopped flashing, it went completely off. I went to O'Reilly's to get the code checked which rendered "P0594 Cruise Control Servo Control circuit / open".

Do you think my issue here is actually my cruise control even though it happens while I'm manually controlling my throttle? Or do you think the TPS is still the root issue and the error code is the cruise control noticing the TPS is being weird?

Thanks,
Jake

Old 09-10-2019, 06:49 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

Flashing CEL means engine is misfiring. That would coincide with the lack of power. Pressing the gas a bit, gives it a quick shot of extra gas, to get the engine to accelerate. The cruise code I think is just a coincidence.

Old 09-10-2019, 08:15 PM
vandykej17

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Flashing CEL means engine is misfiring. That would coincide with the lack of power. Pressing the gas a bit, gives it a quick shot of extra gas, to get the engine to accelerate. The cruise code I think is just a coincidence.
You're saying it's not my TPS, right? Or are you saying my TPS is causing the lack of power?

Old 09-10-2019, 08:34 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Could be any number of things at this point. See if there are any pending codes. That may tell you which cylinders were misfiring. But, yes, it *could* be TPS...... That would explain the cruise codes as well, PCM is trying to control the module, but, not seeing any changes on TPS. Sure wouldn't hurt to test it.

Old 09-10-2019, 08:46 PM
vandykej17

The only pending codes were brake fluid low and the cruise control one. I was surprised there wasn't a code about the engine light flashing.

Old 09-10-2019, 09:37 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Yeah, me too..... Test the TPS, and see what you get.

Old 09-10-2019, 09:47 PM
vandykej17

How do I test it?

Old 09-10-2019, 10:15 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

There should be three wires. One will be 5 volt signal from PCM, one will be ground, the third will be a modified signal going back to the PCM. (it should range from somewhere under 1 volt at closed throttle, to somewhere over 3.5 volts at wide open throttle. As to which is which..... That I don't know. Got a wiring diagram?

Quick Reply: Stumbling at idle and at speed