3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Bouncy steering around turns

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2017, 04:30 PM
Mike Monahan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bouncy steering around turns

Going around soft turns the wheel is very bouncy. Wants to move back and forth real quick. Would this be the rack?

Old 07-30-2017, 05:51 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,197 Likes on 2,949 Posts

Might be a tire..... Check both fronts for lumps and bumps.

Old 09-19-2017, 07:19 AM
05QuadSLT

I would like to know the fix for this as well. Just replaced the power steering pump with an OEM and the high pressure line with a quality aftermarket, however it still has the same bounce back around curves.

Old 09-21-2017, 11:23 PM
05QuadSLT

I just replaced the Intermediate Steering Shaft on my 05 SLT Quad Cab today and so far it feels much better. Does your truck swerve easily when turning or switching lanes? My steering was actually much more twitchy or sensitive than I thought it should be. I had just bought the truck a couple of weeks ago, but it hadn't felt right since the day I brought it home. As strange as this may sound, the truck seemed like it had too much power steering. It was like there was no resistance. I replaced the power steering pump last week which took care of some pump noise, however it didn't help the issue. I will be giving the truck a good test run tomorrow, but so far from a quick trip to Church and back (approx. 4-5 miles), it seems like a different truck. More resistance at the wheel, which I am not even sure how that is effected by this part, however, it feels much more controlled and I didn't feel the jerking back or releasing motion that I felt before. I had checked the universal joints by disconnecting the bottom of the shaft from the rack and pinion when I did the pump last week, however it wasn't until I completely removed it from the truck that I was able to see that there was an issue with the top joint. It would move 2 of 4 directions cleanly, but the other 2 directions showed some binding.