3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Cannot find Factory Amp

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2017, 09:28 PM
shortbut1337
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cannot find Factory Amp

Hey all,

Long-time listener, but first time caller here.
I have an 07 Dakota ST Quad Cab that I want to install an amp and sub into. I'm currently all wired with with the aftermarket amp (under pass. seat) and sub, all my wires are in place and ready to go with the RCAs and remote cable dangling behind the stock stereo - ready to go.

I have a new head unit as well, but I've been unsuccessful with finding a harness that fits - its killing me!
I'm finding different harness that claim to fit and am seeing reviews on ebay, amazon, crutchfield, sonix, etc. for folks who have had great success, but no one specifically mentions which model they drive.

I've ordered so far the following harnesses:
1. Metra 71-6502-1 (way wrong, my mistake)
2. Scosche CR04B (came with red power wire to spice to the 12V cigarette power cable)
3. Metra 70-6514 (still on the way)

The metra 70-6514 is an "amp bypass" option and I'm not quire sure how or where to install it judging by the pictures, but we'll see when it gets here.

I'm also seeing a lot about Dakotas that have a factory amps near/under/around the passenger kick panel, but I can't seem to find it for the life of me. I've looked everywhere short of taking the passenger airbag out, which I probably don't have the inclination to do anyway lol.

Please help! Is there a factory amp I'm missing somewhere? I don't think I have a premium sound package, at least I haven't seen any markings.

Thanks greatly for any feedback!

Old 08-05-2017, 10:51 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,195 Likes on 2,948 Posts

What is the stock sound system in your truck?

Old 08-05-2017, 03:08 PM
erau
Veteran
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Not all have amps. My 2005 ST didn't...All 4 speakers received power straight from the head unit.

If I remember correctly (it's been almost 12 years), the harness I used connected to the factory head-unit harness on one end, with color-coded bare wires on the other end, and all were spliced together with the color-coded wires of the plug that came with the aftermarket head unit. The one exception, I believe, was the wire for switched current (ignition) which had to be connected to the positive of the cigarette lighter plug instead of the factory head unit plug, as an easy work-around of the CANbus security. I also had to make sure that the cigarette lighter fuse in the fuse box under the hood was in the proper position in order to provide switched power instead of full-time power. (That particular fuse, at least on the 2005, has the ability to be plugged "sideways" into an alternate position to change the operation of the cigarette lighter plug.)

Old 08-07-2017, 06:29 PM
WhistlerMack

Originally Posted by shortbut1337
Hey all,

I've ordered so far the following harnesses:
1. Metra 71-6502-1 (way wrong, my mistake)
2. Scosche CR04B (came with red power wire to spice to the 12V cigarette power cable)
3. Metra 70-6514 (still on the way)

I installed a new HU with the Axxess XSVI-6522-NAV Wiring Interface. Make all your wiring connections to the harness of the new HU and you're good to go! It split up the wiring of your truck (CANBUS?) into the necessary wires for your HU. Which was great for me because I also took the opportunity to splice off illumination and reverse wires for my backup camera and aux lighting system!

I drive an 08 SXT. Sites like Crutchfield are great for assessing compatibility with your vehicle.

https://www1.crutchfield.com/p_12065...Interface.html

Last edited by WhistlerMack; 08-07-2017 at 06:35 PM.
Old 08-21-2017, 05:55 AM
Butters54

Pop the fuse out for the amp (if you have a fuse in the spot for it) and see if it makes a differnce.

Old 08-21-2017, 10:25 AM
dakotaff
Champion
Received 81 Likes on 78 Posts

The only way an amp would be in your 07, would be with the Alpine Premium sound system. It was not available on the ST model, therefore, you do not have an amp.

Get your build sheet which will tell you for sure, plus plenty of other information about your truck.

Copy the link below, and put your VIN at the end (Replace the xxxxx).

https://www.dodge.com/webselfservice...vlet?vin=xxxxx

Last edited by dakotaff; 08-21-2017 at 10:29 AM.