3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

coolant mixed with trans oil thanks to a bad radiator

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2017, 12:19 AM
David Kalinowski
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default coolant mixed with trans oil thanks to a bad radiator

Title says it all.

It overheated i suppose (temp gauge was not showing this). Started dumping fluid from the radiator over flow bottle, so I parked it, it was dark so I couldnt check much. The next day I noticed the fluid was pinkish instead of orange, so I checked the trans fluid and sure as **** it was pink too. You think my trans should be rebuilt at this point or just flushed and refilled? ( I have yet to install my new solenoid because of this issue, I did get a new radiator, but I think I'm also going to get a external trans cooler and bypass the one in the radiator so that this dont happen again..)

(maybe I can get at least a welcome to the forum reply on this thread? my last one has 200 views but no reply's, i'm pretty sure i figured it out though)

Old 10-15-2017, 01:33 AM
primem
Record Breaker
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

all the friction material on the clutch pack discs in the trans will be damaged as the binders used to adhere it to the disc do not like water. Its near impossible to get the contaminated fluid out even with a flush and pan drop.

running without going to the rad to warm the trans fluid with effect fuel efficency...new trucks run a separate heat exchanger to bring the trans fluid up to temp faster.

Old 10-15-2017, 12:56 PM
David Kalinowski
Rookie

So running directly to an aux trans cooler by passing the radiator is bad? I thought keeping the trans as cool as possible was good. I guess I'm just a little confused on that.. Thank you for your reply though.

Old 10-15-2017, 08:36 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

Is your trans fluid still clean, and pink? If it is, just replace your radiator, and call it a day.

Over-cooling your trans can be as bad as running it too hot. As with everything else, it has it's 'ideal' temp, right around 180 degrees or so.

Old 10-15-2017, 09:53 PM
David Kalinowski
Rookie

the fluid is a strawberry milkshake kind of look to it..

Old 10-16-2017, 10:01 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

Trans isn't going to last very long then.......

Old 10-16-2017, 10:26 AM
David Kalinowski
Rookie

Yea thats what i figured. Its been parked I haven't driven it since the day it started over flowing the coolant reservoir. I'll call the local trans shops and see what a rebuilt is going to cost me. It might end up being cheaper to get a new trans installed. I tell you what, I'm cursed with vehicles. at least my lancer still works.