3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Attempting A 3.7 To 4.7 Swap

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2018 | 01:14 AM
Hesselhoff
|
Professional
Default Attempting A 3.7 To 4.7 Swap

Hello all,
I currently have a 2011 Ram Dakota ST extended cab with a 3.7l. It's the base model and doesn't have a lot going for it, but it still moves like hell and takes the abuse I put it through - last trip was 1200lbs in the back going through hilly terrain for almost two hours at 65mph. I have played with the thought of doing a swap for awhile and finally got the chance to buy a 2008 Dakota SXT crew cab 4x4 with a 4.7l. While getting that one running I also found a 2006 1500 with a limited slip, same gearing, and brake discs, so I figured I'd throw those into the mix as well. Only problem with the donor Dakota is it does not come with keys, so there is no way to know the mileage, or the condition. I've already bookmarked dozens of pages over the years of lurking, but would still appreciate any advice thrown my way. Even if this turns out to be a fruitless effort I still get a few parts that my current ride is lacking, or needs replacing.

The ideal situation would be:
1. Get the engine, transmission, transfer case, and diffs serviced and operating.
2. Decide which body to use - I like my long box, but a backseat would be nice.
3. Swap in engine, transmission, transfer case, diffs, gears and brakes from ram.
4. Burn rubber.

Worst case I still have a corporate 9.25 axle and a limited slip from the ram that i can stuff into the 2011.

As far as I know most parts for this are going to be drop in and bolt on without much if any modification. I know I'll need the computer and wiring harness to swap and the 545RFE will have to stay with the 4.7l. One question I have is will a key lock cylinder from another model work, or a whole ignition switch? While I'm at it is there anything else i should be aware of, or should do while in this deep? Am I missing anything; parts, sanity, or otherwise?

Whether positive or not I look forward to seeing what you guys have to say.

Build Sheets of vehicles:
2011 Ram Dakota ST 4x2 3.7l
https://www.dodge.com/webselfservice...RE2BK2BS708413
2008 Dodge Dakota SXT 4x4 4.7l
https://www.dodge.com/webselfservice...HW38N58S535043
2006 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT 4x4 5.7l
https://www.dodge.com/webselfservice...HU16226J169564

Old 03-16-2018 | 11:14 AM
daktwos
Professional

I wouldn't even bother with your '11 dakota st in my opinion.The '08 dakota slt is much better equiped.You could fix that one up.The mileage can be obtained by having a dodge dealer hook up to the ecm.A set of keys can be made and programmed by a good local locksmith that has the experience and training for less than what a dodge dealer will charge.A cheap 6ft utility trailer will make up for the shorter bed if it proves to be a problem.It'll be a whole lot less work and you can drive it sooner.The '06 1500 wouldn't be bad either.You could probably use the 17" wheels off of it on the dakota with the right tire.

Quick Reply: Attempting A 3.7 To 4.7 Swap