3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

How to fit 33's with 3" Supreme suspensions lift?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2018, 01:29 AM
jakehinds
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to fit 33's with 3" Supreme suspensions lift?

So I recently installed 3" pucks up front, with 3" blocks/shims in the rear, and have been looking for mud tires. Found a set of 33/12.5/17 Cooper Discoverer STT's for $260, seem to be in great condition just old(2007). I'm sure I'll have to trim a bit but I think they'll fit just fine, especially in the back. The shop I bought them from said they wouldn't fit with my stock rims due to the upper control arm interfering with the tire itself. He said I'd either need 1.25" spacers @ $50 a piece, or suggested getting new rims with a zero offset. I felt like $50 per 1 was overpriced, plus I don't think I want my wheels spaced out that far. The 12.5" tire width needs at least an 8" wide rim, so would that solve the rubbing issue on the control arm? Gonna go to Americas Tire or similar to see what they say as well.
- (After writing this, I'm now more confused. My current tires are 245/70/17, but looking at the sale sheet from dealership when original owner purchased; says 16x7" wheels. Is it possible to put 17" tires on 16" rims???)

Old 04-12-2018, 07:38 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 337 Likes on 301 Posts

lol...no, it is not possible to put 17" tires on a 16" wheel.

Old 04-12-2018, 09:39 AM
ODXBeef
Professional
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

With your current stock offset you are going to get frame rub and sway bar rub in the front and you are going to have problems at full flex in the back cramming the tire into the fender.

I have 285/75r16's (which are something like a 32.8x11ish) with 2 inches of lift and they required a lot of trimming. I kept the stock offset and tolerate the rubbing on the frame at full lock because going to zero offset will stop the rubbing but then push the tire out into the fender and bumper requiring even more trimming.

Old 04-13-2018, 10:10 AM
jakehinds

Pushing the tire out past a certain point = more rubbing makes sense. I've been trying to find my stock rim specs online but having a hard time locating it. I just found a set of cragar soft 8's for $200 about 1.5 hours away, I may go check them out. Just worried they won't fit. Are you aware of stock backspacing/offset I should be aiming for? I don't think he listed that in the ad, of course

Old 04-14-2018, 11:27 AM
dakotaff
Champion
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Your stock wheels are 16x7, with an offset of +25. The wheels in your picture above look like they are 17" wheels from a Dodge Ram, so if your wheels and tires are 17", then a previous owner installed those wheels from a Ram, and the offset is the same, +25.

If you try to put on 33" tires with a leveling kit, your gonna run into nothing but trouble. Unless, of course, you don't mind cutting off pieces of your truck. IIRC, the Cragar 8s have an offset of zero, that lower offset makes it even more difficult to squeeze larger tires on, without cutting away anyway. Stock offset on all of our stock wheels is +25, so a little lower is fine, and lets a larger tire fit with slight or no rub. But too low of an offset causes issues with the outer area (quarter panels) needing to be cut, and the too low offset also causes stress and wear on the wheel bearings, and wheel spacers cause that issue too. The lowest offset I would ever go on my truck, would probably be +10, but when I was searching for wheels, I made +18 my lowest offset to consider.

I understand wanting a larger tire, but I do not understand wanting to stuff every inch of open space with tire.
My opinion, forget those 33s.

Last edited by dakotaff; 04-14-2018 at 11:35 AM.
Old 04-23-2018, 11:53 AM
rosko__

Originally Posted by ODXBeef
With your current stock offset you are going to get frame rub and sway bar rub in the front and you are going to have problems at full flex in the back cramming the tire into the fender.

I have 285/75r16's (which are something like a 32.8x11ish) with 2 inches of lift and they required a lot of trimming. I kept the stock offset and tolerate the rubbing on the frame at full lock because going to zero offset will stop the rubbing but then push the tire out into the fender and bumper requiring even more trimming.
I just ordered the same tires for my 2010. I have a 2.5” leveling kit in the front. How was the trimming process? Any advice?

Thanks!

Old 04-23-2018, 11:56 AM
rosko__

Originally Posted by jakehinds
So I recently installed 3" pucks up front, with 3" blocks/shims in the rear, and have been looking for mud tires. Found a set of 33/12.5/17 Cooper Discoverer STT's for $260, seem to be in great condition just old(2007). I'm sure I'll have to trim a bit but I think they'll fit just fine, especially in the back. The shop I bought them from said they wouldn't fit with my stock rims due to the upper control arm interfering with the tire itself. He said I'd either need 1.25" spacers @ $50 a piece, or suggested getting new rims with a zero offset. I felt like $50 per 1 was overpriced, plus I don't think I want my wheels spaced out that far. The 12.5" tire width needs at least an 8" wide rim, so would that solve the rubbing issue on the control arm? Gonna go to Americas Tire or similar to see what they say as well.
- (After writing this, I'm now more confused. My current tires are 245/70/17, but looking at the sale sheet from dealership when original owner purchased; says 16x7" wheels. Is it possible to put 17" tires on 16" rims???)https://flic.kr/p/23jKJd3

Where did you buy those aftermarket halogen headlamp assemblies? They look great!

Old 04-23-2018, 12:07 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 337 Likes on 301 Posts

Originally Posted by rosko__

Where did you buy those aftermarket halogen headlamp assemblies? They look great!
SPEC-D. You can buy them just about anywhere online. ebay, amazon, etc.

Quick Reply: How to fit 33's with 3" Supreme suspensions lift?