3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Key Fobs Lost Programming...again

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2018, 01:26 PM
aswartz702
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Key Fobs Lost Programming...again

Okay, I've been having this problem for quite some time now. When I first bought my truck used from a dealer, I purchased two brand new keys, they were fresh cut and programmed to my truck. About a month or two after that, one key lost programming. It would still turn over and start the truck, however, the lock, unlock, and alarm buttons on the key fob don't function on the truck.

I took it back to another dealer and they had it for a few days, and said it could be the gauge cluster. Bought one and it didn't change a thing.
Then they said it was a Wireless Control Module, however that didn't help.
Then they said it may be a short, so the mechanic ran wires and I believe he said he replaced something, and reprogrammed the keys and it worked again.

Well, about a month later, one key fob stopped working. So I switched to the other fob, and it worked for probably 2-3 months, now it's doing it again.

Forgot to add, its a 2005 Dodge Dakota, Quad cab with the 4.7. 4X4
Anything else let me know
What happens is I turn off my truck, get out, hit the lock button and it locks my truck. You can hear the audible horn as if you are locking it. If you go to hit the lock button again - nothing happens.

It's done this every time. And I'm trying to find a solution without taking it back to the dealer and getting raped on the cost to repair it.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Last edited by aswartz702; 04-29-2018 at 01:30 PM.
Old 04-30-2018, 05:56 PM
dakotaff
Champion
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Did you change the batteries in the FOBs? The batteries that came with the FOBs may be old.

Open up the FOB, the battery tray the solder joints may have broken, or are cracked. If so, you can re solder the joints.
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen...-fixed-it.html

I had a similar issue years ago, and a new instrument cluster was the remedy.

Old 04-30-2018, 07:30 PM
aswartz702
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Batteries have nothing to do with it. I’ve replaced them many times hoping that was it. The mechanic at the dealer said the truck is receiving the signal, but isn’t doing anything.

He mentioned something aboht about a rolling code

Quick Reply: Key Fobs Lost Programming...again