3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Fuel Pressure Loss

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2018, 11:47 PM
Jeremy Clarke
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Pressure Loss

I’ve had my 2006 4.7 4x4 CC Dakota about 6-months since my 04 got written off.

It’s always had a slight whiny, sucking noise when cruising and just touching the throttle. I haven’t been able to figure out. More or less throttle and it stops. I’ve thrown a new TPS at it after a buddy suggested and that did nothing. It doesn’t cause any drivability issues, just annoying. This may be unrelated to my main problem.

my main problem is starting. Last month I started having hard-starting after I hadn’t driven it a day or two, then every morning, now anytime the engine is cold. It cranks and cranks and will eventually start but also throws a code. I haven’t had the code read but I assume it’s just a symptom and not the real problem. I’ve found that if I cycle the key a few times to let the fuel pump prime it starts fine. So I suspected a failing pump. I threw a new pump assembly in and for two days thought I had cured it, then it came back. I also threw a new gas cap at it because I needed a locking one anyway.

today I got a fuel pressure tester to check bleed-down. It runs at 55psi and sits at 52psi after shutoff, then after a few minutes start losing pressure until 0psi after about 70-minutes. I pinched off the return line at the tank and got same results. So now I’m thinking leaking injector(s)

the wierd thing is, if I bleed off all the fuel pressure to zero, but the engine is still warm, it will fire up right away still.

I don’t understand why 0psi when warm starts fine but 0psi in the morning won’t start without priming cycles.

Help please.

Last edited by Jeremy Clarke; 05-15-2018 at 11:50 PM.
Old 05-16-2018, 09:16 AM
Jaded
Record Breaker
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

How is the starting system? Takes more amps to start a cold engine. Maybe starter not giving enough rpms?

Old 05-16-2018, 02:35 PM
Jeremy Clarke

Thanks,

the starting system system is fine, 6mo old battery and starter cranks good.

to make things more complicated, this morning I went to test it after sitting all night and rail pressure went from 0-52psi and fired up on first crank.
problems that disappear during diagnosis suck.

Old 05-19-2018, 11:34 AM
hidden1
Captain
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Check the codes with the 3 key turn method .

Yes certain sensors can have a impact on it all .
Fuel pressure regulator may be too.

Last edited by hidden1; 05-19-2018 at 05:36 PM.
Old 05-19-2018, 05:31 PM
daktwos
Professional
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

When you replaced the fuel pump did you replace just the pump motor or did you do the entire module assembly?

Old 05-20-2018, 11:24 AM
Jeremy Clarke

I replaced the whole assembly.
Strangely, the problem has entirely gone away now. I still lose all rail pressure after an hour, but it fires right up. I had dumped a bunch of Royal Purple fuel system cleaner in the tank the week before, maybe that finally cleared things out? Maybe the back-pressure from the sudden releasing of rail pressure a few times? IDK, but I’ll take the win. Thanks for the help.

Old 05-20-2018, 11:26 AM
hidden1
Captain
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Did your check engine light go back off?

Old 05-20-2018, 11:51 AM
Jeremy Clarke

The light hasn’t been on since I figured how to prime the system last month.

Quick Reply: Fuel Pressure Loss