3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

05 dakota electrical problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2018, 02:56 PM
Quade
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was able to find a new plug at a junk yard which if anyone else ever has to replace it, its the only economical way the one at the dealership is approx $150. But after swapping the connectors I did what you would normally do for making sure a part is fixed and I tried it out once I returned home but it turns out I can only get it to swap into 4Lock and nothing else including going back into AWD. I've been reading alot on how to fix it and iv'e done everything but take out the shift motor to put in the other one because I cant drive the truck to the lift where I would normally work on it. Im wondering if there's any way to get the shift motor to apply more torque to the tooth that it turns to put it back to AWD because when I try to switch it to AWD or 4Lo I can hear the motor trying to move I've even hit it with a hammer lightly towards the tooth like you would for a starter thats going on the fritz and ive done all the different forwards so many feet and backwards so many feet and try and in neutral.

Old 06-26-2018, 03:16 PM
daktwos
Professional
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Need to replace shift motor with a new one,the sensor is part of it.Need to remove front shaft for access,can be done by lifting just the left side.

Old 07-13-2018, 01:55 PM
Quade

I replaced shift motor twice, the first one I replaced the entire case of the shift motor CRACKED when i went to test it and i wasnt even driving it was still on the lift. So I had them warranty the part and the second one the sent me shifted to 4Lock and now won't change like it was doing before. Now is there any chance that the 2wd t-case is slightly difference than the AWD one and possibly is the reason why it won't shift back to anything maybe the motor receives a signal it doesn't know what to do or the pressure is different for the physical switch?

Old 07-14-2018, 11:01 AM
daktwos
Professional

No transfer case in a 2wd truck,only in 4wd trucks. As far as I know all part time 4wd,full time and awd transfer cases use the same shift motor (5143477AA).Misalignment can easily occur if the motor is not mated exactly right.The stub out of the transfer case has to be indexed with vise grips so it matches the orientation on the motor.Also the electrical connector has to be seated all the way so the motor will operate correctly.

Old 07-14-2018, 03:02 PM
Quade

yes I know that vehicles without a transfer case are 2wd but I mean transfer case's that switch to 2wd VS awd. And I think thats what happened the first time either I didn't have it flush or the transfer case selector wasn't at the correct setting, but now everything is seated correctly and flush and torqued to spec.

Old 07-15-2018, 10:34 PM
daktwos
Professional

That leaves the 4wd mode selector switch on the dash.

Old 07-25-2018, 08:23 AM
Quade

It wasn't the 4wd switch on the dash so im guessing its going to be the computer unless there's something else that is inline with the 4wd. im just about done with this truck and just want to rip it all out and make it into a straight mechanical shifting 4wd.

Old 07-25-2018, 01:31 PM
daktwos
Professional

Revisit all the electrical connections at motor,switch and fcm.

Quick Reply: 05 dakota electrical problems