3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

seat belt light

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2018, 08:18 PM
KCRY
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default seat belt light

hi new to the forum i have a 2005 dodge dakota SLT quad cab 4.7 the light for the seat belt came on one day and stays on all the time now. ive unplugged the harness underneath the drivers seat and the light is still on. could anyone please help lead me in the right direction to get this light off on my dash. i have OCD and cannot stand having lights on on my dash. LOL thanks everyone

Old 09-26-2018, 07:51 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 337 Likes on 301 Posts

IIRC, the circuit needs to be closed to turn the light off.

Old 09-26-2018, 08:30 AM
KCRY

Originally Posted by jkeaton
IIRC, the circuit needs to be closed to turn the light off.
What does that mean ? How do I do that ?

Old 09-26-2018, 09:09 AM
northgator8
All Star
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by KCRY
What does that mean ? How do I do that ?
Imagine a switch. When the switch is off, it is OPEN o \o When it is on, it is CLOSED o--o. The control system for the light is looking for a signal back from the seat belt harness that shows a continuous loop - CLOSED. When there is a failure i.e. the seat belt is not connected, it is OPEN. For an unsafe, temporary fix, put a jumper across the disconnected connector. For a safe, permanent fix, find the wire that has worn through and come apart and repair it. Use the search function on this forum to find the repair that others have carried out.

Old 09-26-2018, 10:32 AM
KCRY

Originally Posted by northgator8
Imagine a switch. When the switch is off, it is OPEN o \o When it is on, it is CLOSED o--o. The control system for the light is looking for a signal back from the seat belt harness that shows a continuous loop - CLOSED. When there is a failure i.e. the seat belt is not connected, it is OPEN. For an unsafe, temporary fix, put a jumper across the disconnected connector. For a safe, permanent fix, find the wire that has worn through and come apart and repair it. Use the search function on this forum to find the repair that others have carried out.
Thank you I appreciate it

Old 09-26-2018, 06:29 PM
KCRY

i have got the light to go out using a jumper wire ,but how does one fix it properly? ive checked all wiring and none are worn or pulled out or damaged. do i need an actual new seat belt buckle? thank you

Old 09-27-2018, 07:22 AM
northgator8
All Star
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by KCRY
i have got the light to go out using a jumper wire ,but how does one fix it properly? ive checked all wiring and none are worn or pulled out or damaged. do i need an actual new seat belt buckle? thank you
I would look at the wiring under the seat. You may have to take the seat out and follow the wires from the connector through to the seat belt buckle. The fact that you have been able to jumper the connector to fix the problem has isolated the open circuit.

Quick Reply: seat belt light