3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Uneven Ride Height

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2018, 10:03 AM
RicOshea
Rookie
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Uneven Ride Height

Quick question, can you adjust the front end ride height on a 2006 Dodge Dakota R/T 4x4, 4.7J?

I just recently replaced the front end suspension on my truck (Upper/ Lower control arms, Stab bar links, tie-rods, Struts / Shocks, Rotor / Pads.
I built the Struts myself according to the old ones. Leaving the caster and upper control arm bolts snug but not torqued I lowered the vehicle to the ground to torque up the bolts as it was requested but I noticed a slight lean to the driver's side. After measuring (axle nut to fender), I'm out 1 ". How can I fix this, logic would dictate to compress the spring via the nut on top of strut mount. Or is there something else I'm missing ...

I'm going to double check the tire pressure, measure axle nut to ground, caster bolt to ground then subtract the two numbers. I'll also lift the rear onto jack stands to make sure the rear is not affecting the front.

Last edited by RicOshea; 11-04-2018 at 10:17 AM.
Old 11-04-2018, 11:06 AM
primem
Record Breaker
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

the ride height would be predetermined by the coil spring. conventional strut set up...there is no adjustment...the strut nut is tightened and it jambs tight....if its not tight the upper strut mount will clunk with suspension movement. Not sure what type of springs you have. if they are variable rate spring, compressing one more that the other will effect spring rate.
you are correct the rear springs will diagonally effect the front springs...high left rear will push the right front low

Quick Reply: Uneven Ride Height