3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

2006 Dakota 3.7 performance and trans shifts

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2018, 10:23 PM
rhrailfan1972
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 Dakota 3.7 performance and trans shifts

Is there anything that can be done to get a bit more power from the 3.7? I would like to stay away from programmers and cold air kits due to price. Also the tranny shifts way to quick. 1st to 2nd is fine but it shifts way to quick through the other gears. As it stands right now I have a 88 Ford Ranger with the little 2.9 that will run circles around the Dakota. Not good!

Old 11-15-2018, 10:26 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 335 Likes on 299 Posts

Swap in a 4.7.

Old 11-16-2018, 10:37 AM
pierrejoly
Veteran
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

at one point i had done just a K&N drop in and some E3 Diamond Fire spark plugs and it livened it up. i was doing one wheel burn outs on command with the original Wrangler SRA tires. After my tire upgrade, trying to do a burnout caused bent front rotors because i had too much grip and needed too much pressure on the front rotors.

Over time, i noticed the MGP was getting quite low, and i ended up replacing the plugs with something more normal and it still seemed quite lively to me even with the slightly larger tires. Also, i think the E3 sparkplugs may have caused my misfire. I never had an issue after i got rid of those plugs. Don't forget, the ranger is quite a lot lighter then the dakota. Also, my dakota, being a 2011 had 3.92 gears with the 3.7, not sure what they put in the 2006.

But for cold air kit, you can technically make your own with a rubber coupler to some 4" PVC pipe, put an elbow on it and getting a conical K&N or whatever else air filter and connecting that to the end of another pipe. I was looking to modify the stock airbox to allow a little more airflow and put the conical filter in the air box to isolate some heat as well as protect from water/mud. I actually have everything at home still, i just never did it as i was waiting for the temps to get hotter, then my truck broke on me. I do miss my Dakota and would go back if it wasn't for the dealer in my hometown. In a few years, i'll be trading in my current Sorento for a Stinger GT and will be looking for a truck. since warranty will be long past and i won't have to worry about going to the dealer, i may look at also getting a 2008+ dakota, with the 4.7 though. I'll need a winter/camping/hauling truck anyways.

Old 11-16-2018, 07:23 PM
rhrailfan1972

Im going to try a drop in K&N filter and new plugs. I have no idea if the plugs have ever been changed. Havent had the truck long.

Old 11-20-2018, 11:10 AM
pierrejoly
Veteran
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Another thing that is common with the Dakota, and honestly pretty much every vehicle out there is carbon buildup on the top of the piston and valves after a while. This could impede airflow or cause bad combustion. I recommend doing a treatment with Seafoam (i prefer the aerosol one where some like the liquid sucked in a vacuum line, your preference).

Old 11-20-2018, 02:14 PM
Seventime
Rookie

Do your research before dropping money on a cold air intake, there’s quite a few guys online who run dyno tests before and after installing cai’s with very minimal results. And any benefit they see is usually at very high rpm’s. Not anything you’d notice daily driving.

Did I’d you scan your truck? Perhaps a fuel trim problem is the cause of your poor performance.

Pull the plugs see what they look like, if there’re bad change them. I’d stay far away from dropping money on a cold air intake hoping to muscle up your 3.7

Old 11-22-2018, 06:40 PM
rhrailfan1972

I decided not to try a drop in K&N filter for now. But I did change plugs today and the old ones were worn badly. I will know tomorrow how much better the new ones make it run because I will be driving up some grades.

Old 11-28-2018, 06:45 PM
rhrailfan1972

New plugs didnt help. The truck is still a slug.

Old 11-28-2018, 07:16 PM
dakotaff
Champion
Received 81 Likes on 78 Posts

If you haven't tried it yet, unhook your battery for a while and try to start it (hold 30 seconds) with the battery still not connected. This will drain any reserve power and reset your PCM. Then start your truck 3 times, leaving it running for at least a few minutes on the third time. Your truck will relearn many things, and hopefully change your undesirable shifts.

Old 12-01-2018, 09:49 PM
rhrailfan1972

How long should I leave it unhooked? And are you talking about starting it then turning it right back off twice before the third start?

Quick Reply: 2006 Dakota 3.7 performance and trans shifts