3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

New to me '05 Dakota with issues...

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2018, 01:14 PM
jmcarthy
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to me '05 Dakota with issues...

Picked it up from an out of state used car dealer less than a week ago. I love the truck, super clean body and undercarriage, 4.7 with 6 speed.

Problems started when driving it home. Svc 4 wheel drive flashed on and it started throwing truck into 4wd on it's own. I also noticed windshield washers not working. I get the truck home and positive terminal was corroded so I cleaned off. Did some research and I'm thinking maybe front control module FCM. I did check for codes and none are set. I set up an appointment at a Dodge dealer to have them read the FCM to see if anything shows up. Went to use it for work yesterday and turned key on (it booted) went to start and all dash lights went out and it wouldn't even make a click. I did pull FCM a few days ago to look for corrosion on terminals but it was clean as a whistle and re-installed with a little dielectric grease added. I also read where the power distribution centers are known for corrosion. Much to my horror the part (56049678AK) is no longer available.

Any thoughts while I'm waiting for the dealer to read the FCM?

Old 12-17-2018, 07:33 PM
erau
Veteran
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

If it were me, I'd start with a new battery.

Old 12-22-2018, 02:37 AM
FaceDeAce
Veteran
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by erau
If it were me, I'd start with a new battery.
x2 !
The electronics in these trucks seem to be quite sensitive to having a steady reliable power supply voltage. With a weak/damaged or a cheap quality battery can cause the truck to get really glitchy. As suggested the first thing to spend money on is to put a quality battery in it. Do not cheap out on the battery. Fully charge the battery overnight on a decent charger. Then take it for a ride the next day. High probability all of those gremlins will be long gone.

Last edited by FaceDeAce; 12-22-2018 at 02:40 AM.
Old 12-22-2018, 06:39 AM
jmcarthy

A final update. I started with a new Interstate battery, one of their better ones. The battery was fine the day before it died. When it died it was sudden and acted oddly when i charged it. Started at 60% then went to full charge within 20 minutes but still dead when I tried to start. I believe it was shorting out and I had (false) high hopes this would be the problem as face said any FCM circuit is very sensitive. After replacing the battery I still had the same issues.

I had ordered a new Cardone A1(83306) shift motor from Rockauto and a selector switch. I replaced the existing motor (wasn't factory) with the Cardone. The plastic electrical connector on the new motor would not allow a full seat of the connector. Now the svc 4wheel light is on all the time. I picked up another cheaper Cardone(48306) at a local (Oreilly's) auto parts and same problem. I wound up buying a Dorman(600-935) and the plastic electrical fitting was fine. I mention the name Cardone as I believe all their motors have this defective plastic connector on them and would shy away from them for a great while until that issue is resolved.

I had the truck out last night and it did not act up. My fingers are still crossed. Going to cancel the dealership appointment to read the FCM.

Last edited by jmcarthy; 12-22-2018 at 06:43 AM.
Old 12-22-2018, 09:35 PM
pilotsmack
Professional
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Going through this myself. Also had the same issue with the connector on the Cardone model 83-306, however, the rotor inside the TCM spun freely - indicating that the motor position hold solenoid wasn't working either. Too bad, Cardone is usally pretty decent quality control.

Old 12-23-2018, 03:27 PM
stetson
Rookie

I ended up swapping to a manually shifted case over this same issue.
Originally Posted by pilotsmack
Going through this myself. Also had the same issue with the connector on the Cardone model 83-306, however, the rotor inside the TCM spun freely - indicating that the motor position hold solenoid wasn't working either. Too bad, Cardone is usally pretty decent quality control.
did you ever get yours figured out?

Last edited by stetson; 12-23-2018 at 03:29 PM.
Old 12-26-2018, 08:44 PM
pilotsmack
Professional

Originally Posted by stetson
I ended up swapping to a manually shifted case over this same issue.

did you ever get yours figured out?
Posted update on my own thread.

Mcarthy, how's yours coming along?

Old 12-27-2018, 10:01 AM
jmcarthy

I got lucky...it was the shift control motor. I was next going to replace the switch. If that didn't work then pay the dealer $125 to read the FCM. I would then run down the list on that particular code. If all that checked out it was let the dealer replace the FCM. Like I say I got lucky, it was the shift control motor. I would shy away from Cardone though. That electrical connector is wrong by a few thousands and will not seat properly.

Old 12-27-2018, 12:34 PM
pilotsmack
Professional

Glad you got it sorted out. I was pretty surprised by that connector, though I am glad I wasn't the only one with issues with the connector.

Old 12-27-2018, 12:51 PM
jmcarthy

Originally Posted by pilotsmack
I was pretty surprised by that connector, though I am glad I wasn't the only one with issues with the connector.
I'm trying to warn people off about that connector. I imagine that Cardone bought tens of thousands of them and installed them by the thousands in control motors sitting on parts shelves all over the country. They're going to have to have new fittings made and recall and replace them all inventory. Pretty costly mistake. Even costlier to the end user if you don't catch the fact the plug is NOT fully seated and re-assemble only to have to do the whole job all over again. I was almost that dumb.

Quick Reply: New to me '05 Dakota with issues...