3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Wheel bearing odd ball

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2018, 07:56 AM
byronpen
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel bearing odd ball

Short and simple managed to get into an accident . was told that both wheel bearings on the passenger and driver side are bad . Could this have happened from the accident sure. Did a 360 in the middle of the intersection and hit two cars . But my real question is if you use a weight distribution hitch regularly will that cause the front wheel bearing to fail ? I tow a small camper that is well with in my trucks capabilities .
mileage on the truck is just under 50,000
2009 Dakota V6
10 ply tires
4x4
Extreme trailer brakes
Trans cooler
Oversized transmission pan
Mechanical fan delete kit
amsoil products

progressive refused to pay for the side that wasn't hit.
I feel it's highly unlikely that the truck damage wasn't from the accident .
side note progressive sucks

Last edited by byronpen; 12-18-2018 at 08:00 AM. Reason: Miss spell
Old 12-19-2018, 07:23 AM
stetson
Rookie

Originally Posted by byronpen
Short and simple managed to get into an accident . was told that both wheel bearings on the passenger and driver side are bad . Could this have happened from the accident sure. Did a 360 in the middle of the intersection and hit two cars . But my real question is if you use a weight distribution hitch regularly will that cause the front wheel bearing to fail ? I tow a small camper that is well with in my trucks capabilities .
mileage on the truck is just under 50,000
2009 Dakota V6
10 ply tires
4x4
Extreme trailer brakes
Trans cooler
Oversized transmission pan
Mechanical fan delete kit
amsoil products

progressive refused to pay for the side that wasn't hit.
I feel it's highly unlikely that the truck damage wasn't from the accident .
side note progressive sucks
honestly the service life of bearings is about 50k. Towing will do nothing to the front bearings. The spinning out during the accident MIGHT have finished off an otherwise already bad bearing but unless it took a direct hit the accident didn't break it either. Hell my old rearend took a direct hit from a camary at like 40mph and was fine (bent rim and backing plate excluded)

Old 12-19-2018, 09:56 PM
rodslinger
Veteran
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

WD hitch should have no effect to front wheel bearings.

My 2011 has about 98k on it now with probably 70k of that with a trailer hooked up. Sometimes using a WD hitch alao. I'm on my original bearings with no play, noises or binding when turned by hand.

Old 12-20-2018, 07:22 AM
stetson
Rookie

Kinda random question but who said the other side was bad, and did they give runout numbers? Have you checked it yourself? Usually bearings are replaced in pairs just to keep the wear even. The otherside may not actually be bad.

Old 12-21-2018, 07:32 AM
byronpen
Veteran

Dealership call right before pick up and stated that the wheel bearing is so loud they could hear it in the lot. moral of this is how much time should I go after my insurance agency? could it have been from how I use my truck. Normally I do my own work, but the dealer ship couldnt finsh the accident repair without the wheel bearings on both sides replaces. So progressive covered one side. I was boned on the other. 531 total cost extra

Old 12-21-2018, 06:17 PM
rodslinger
Veteran
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Seems obvious enough. If it wasn't making noise before the accident and it is now I would put a 99.9% chance it is related.

Definitely get the insurance involved as additional damage discovered.

Old 12-23-2018, 03:51 PM
stetson
Rookie

Yeah if its to the point its squalling and grinding. And you had no issue before then it was definitely damaged in the accident and should be atleast partially covered. Bearings dont get to that point suddenly on there own, you'd have noticed it. being a 4wd if you where hit directly on the front wheel the cv's and diff could have acted like a hammer and punch to transfer the energy to the other side and blow out the bearing. Would be kinda odd but could happen. Youd have to look at the old bearings to know for sure

Last edited by stetson; 12-23-2018 at 03:58 PM.

Quick Reply: Wheel bearing odd ball