3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Need strong nerf bars.

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2019, 10:18 PM
barrysuperhawk
Professional
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Need strong nerf bars.

Hey guys I've decided that I need to put some fashion of Step Up into my truck, and I think a set of nerf bars might be better than old fashioned running boards or the minimalist hoop step that I've seen some places sell.

The problem is that I need the Nerf Bar to be as strong as possible. I routinely have a passenger that's the next best thing to 400 lb and is severely mobility limited. That seems to rule out traditional style running boards because I've never ever seen a set of those that really truly felt solid.

Unfortunately, even the cheapest ones on ebay say they are "rated" at 500 pounds, but for all I know they could be talking about English paper money. What I'm looking for is either the solidest strongest set of nerf bars I can find, or if they all suck, the best advice I can get on how to get a set of cheap ones and beef up the mounting brackets well enough to handle the load. Or if anybody has any better ideas, feel free to share.

Old 02-01-2019, 08:11 AM
dakotaff
Champion
Received 81 Likes on 78 Posts

I still have a set of OEM step bars on my truck (found a new set on CL real cheap a few years ago), and they're pretty damn solid. I sprayed them with Bedliner, so they are now black instead of chrome. They can still be found, but they are not cheap. Some step bars listed on Ebay do not look the same as OEM bars, just be aware of that. I have no idea what weight limit they claim to support though.

Quad cab part # 82209235AC. (One example)
Extended cab part # 82209234AC.

Old 02-06-2019, 06:44 PM
stetson
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2 words... Rock sliders. When made right they'll support the full weight of the truck.

Old 02-06-2019, 09:04 PM
barrysuperhawk
Professional
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by stetson
2 words... Rock sliders. When made right they'll support the full weight of the truck.
Ok, I like the way you are thinking, but what I primarily need is a big step that is attached to the truck in a sturdy enough fashion that ~400 lbs of mobility limited individual can use it as a solid step to get into my truck. My plan is to make a 6" or so pad to go under the nerf bar, then have them step up to the bar, then into the truck.

I do like your bumper though...

Old 02-07-2019, 12:10 PM
stetson
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by barrysuperhawk
Ok, I like the way you are thinking, but what I primarily need is a big step that is attached to the truck in a sturdy enough fashion that ~400 lbs of mobility limited individual can use it as a solid step to get into my truck. My plan is to make a 6" or so pad to go under the nerf bar, then have them step up to the bar, then into the truck.

I do like your bumper though...
I'd either buy some trail gear slider kits and take them to someone who can weld and have the step added on, or I'd just go to the guy that can weld and be like hey man this is what i want whats it gonna cost

Quick Reply: Need strong nerf bars.