3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Bring Back the Daktoa

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2019, 03:30 AM
primem
Record Breaker
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

ecodiesel is turbo'd and its not that great of an engine.

haven't seen and overheating issues....some carbon build up due to dry manifolds...more motor vac cleaning required.

Old 02-09-2019, 07:47 AM
philipat
Veteran
Received 48 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by primem
ecodiesel is turbo'd and its not that great of an engine.

haven't seen and overheating issues....some carbon build up due to dry manifolds...more motor vac cleaning required.
Last I looked it didn't say on Ram's site that the Ecodiesel was turbo'd and it doesn't sound like it when I'm next one. Maybe it's just quiet. But, if it is already turbo'd, then, yea, it's not a great engine.

Ford's turbo'd engines are only a few years old. Too early to tell. Not talking about overheating. I'm talking about the prolonged exposure to hotter temperatures that affects the metallurgy over time.

Old 02-09-2019, 11:03 AM
primem
Record Breaker
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

gm has been using direct injected turbos; the lk9 since 06 and its one of their best car engines and its cast aluminum...ford 09 iirc...plenty of time for data collection

Old 02-10-2019, 07:46 AM
erau
Veteran
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Speaking of:

https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/20...e-on-his-mind/

February 8, 2019

Mike Manley knows trucks, as his company owes its profitability to the vehicle type. Speaking this week during a fourth-quarter earnings call, the Fiat Chrysler CEO said his team learned its lesson on how to launch the things, with the botched roll-out of the 2019 Ram 1500 providing a valuable lesson on what not to do with the 2019 Ram HD.

Manley had plenty to say about those lessons, as well as the upcoming Jeep Gladiator and a yet-unrealized vehicle he’s pushing to build.
When asked about a now-glaring absence in the FCA lineup — a midsize pickup — Manley responded by saying the Gladiator is just such a vehicle, and will soon offer a unique alternative to the likes of the Toyota Tacoma, GM’s Colorado/Canyon twins, Ford’s new Ranger, and the ancient-but-popular Nissan Frontier. It is, however, a less-than-conventional choice.

While the Gladiator is an exciting addition to the Jeep brand, what about a normcore midsizer bearing the Ram badge? One analyst on the call pointedly asked about the chances of a modern-day Dakota.

“Where we sit today, the only vehicle missing in our portfolio is metric tonne pickup, which is midsize pickup in the U.S.,” Manley said. “I am working hard with a team to try and solve that. Haven’t solved it yet, but if that gets solved, it will give us the opportunity to bring a midsize truck in the marketplace.”

Old 02-10-2019, 10:13 PM
rodslinger
Veteran
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaded
These other makers are going turbo because of government regulations if I understand correctly. Once the v8's are all gone, you'll miss them.
We have gone full circle.

I can recall in the late 80's and early 90's when manufacturers were getting away from turbo engines due to the difficulty in meeting emission regs.

​​​​​

Quick Reply: Bring Back the Daktoa