3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Transmission issues?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2019, 08:49 AM
kaotkbliss
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission issues?

I've had this problem start on Monday of this week out of the blue, and it's been every other day now (Mon, Wed and now this morning on Fri)
It only happened 1 time each of those days and always in the same spot in my drive.
I have a 2005 Dakota rear wheel drive and on those 3 days, I back out of my driveway, head to the first intersection, make a left. Go to the end of that road, make another left. Down a hill to a stop light, make my 3rd left. Start heading down that road and suddenly it's like the truck is in neutral.

I have my truck warm up for about a half hour before leaving, and everything is fine and drives normal to that point which is only about 5 minutes of driving so far.

When it happens, I stop, put the truck in park then back in drive and the rest of my hour drive to work is no problems. I leave work and can drive all the way home no problems. If I have to leave again after getting home, no problems. It's only every other day in that particular spot at that particular time. (so far, knock on wood)

I know jack nothing about cars except the very basic of basics. My first thought was the fluid level so I checked it and the level is between the 2 double dots (about halfway between) so should be good I think.

What could I possibly be looking at?

Old 03-01-2019, 02:20 PM
dakotaff
Champion
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

First step, replace fluid and filters, using OEM filters only. Hopefully that will help.

It sure is strange that it happens in the same location. Welcome Aboard.

Old 03-01-2019, 02:39 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 349 Likes on 310 Posts

Ditto. Service the transmission using only Mopar filters and fluids. These trucks do not like aftermarket filters.

Old 03-01-2019, 02:46 PM
kaotkbliss

Thank you both. I will give that a try. Fortunately I have change trany fluid/filters a couple times before on older cars. While not difficult, it sure is messy.

Old 03-01-2019, 03:23 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 349 Likes on 310 Posts

These trucks are a pain since you have to remove the crossmember to get the pan off,

Old 03-01-2019, 04:08 PM
kaotkbliss

Oh that sounds like a PITA

Old 03-02-2019, 09:13 AM
RicOshea
Rookie
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

For an extra $$$ you can install a "TransGo" shift improvement kit for the 45RFE/545RFE transmission. There are a few youtube vids showing how to do this. Just recommending if you're going to be replacing the fluid and filters anyway might be worth it to change the accumulator springs, seals and backing plate.

Quick Reply: Transmission issues?