3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Heater not working

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2019, 07:40 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 338 Likes on 302 Posts

So you've already replaced the blower motor and resistor in the past? What was the reason for replacing it before? Same symptoms as now? I'll ask again have you checked for power at the blower itself? That will narrow own the problem instead of throwing parts at it.

Old 03-06-2019, 02:24 PM
Soonerschooner
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I replaced both of them several years ago. I've forgotten in which order. The resistor stopped working on any speed other than high. The blower motor started making a whining sound like the bearings were going out. I could whack it, and it would stop, but then start up again after a time.

How do I check to see if I have power at the blower? A voltmeter?

Old 03-06-2019, 02:58 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 338 Likes on 302 Posts

Yes...

Old 03-06-2019, 05:10 PM
Soonerschooner
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It has power to it.

I went outside to check it, decided to check and make sure that the climate control panel was working. Turned on the truck, pushed the defroster button for the outside mirrors, and the light came on. Okay, it has power to the panel. Just for the heck of it, before I unplugged the power cord to the blower motor, I gave it a little thump with my hand, and it came on, then went back off. I whacked it again, and pushed up on the power plug, and it came back on, and stayed on. So I'm not sure if it's the motor going out, or if somehow the plug got pulled out a little. I'll let it ride for a few days and see if it works.

Quick Reply: Heater not working