3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

05' Dakota - Front Shock/Strut Assembly

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2019, 07:24 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 338 Likes on 302 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruinsdanny
Sweet I'm doing mine tomorrow! 05 Dakota 4.7L 4x4. I'm worried though because I bought the Rancho struts and need to remove springs and top plate to reuse on the ranchos. Never done it b4. Prior owner installed some cheap "Quick-Stop" branded struts, not to be confused with "Quick-Strut" from Monroe LOL dont even know if I can use the springs from this assembly guess I'll find out tomorrow...😬
Hope you're using the proper coil spring compressser. Don't try to remove that spring without one.

Old 04-02-2019, 10:19 AM
pilotsmack
Professional
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Agreed. Spring compressor(s) and safety glasses are huge here. You only have 2 eyes once....

Also have a bunch of sockets and wrenches and don't even think of being in a rush.

Old 04-02-2019, 12:10 PM
RicOshea
Rookie
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I noticed that the coil insulator and mount was ever so slightly off "zero degree" if you're lining them up with the bottom pinch bolt. This is huge in relation to the geometry on how the strut downward faces. If not propperly done the strut will bow and you won't achieve the right travel distance or ride height. I had to pull them several times to get them right.

As far as removing the struts ... they were easy, so long as you disconnect the upper control arm at the ball joint and remove the stabilizer link (bothsides) then push the stabilizer bar up and away.

PRO-TIP from the dealership - buy new pinch bolts and nuts for the lower strut mount. This grade of bolt stretches. Personally I broke the head off the bolt trying to get the torque (155lbs) So the second time around I put the fork of the lower strut mount into a vise to close the distance ... just enough clear the contol arm bushing. then I pushed the pinch bolt through (anti-seize on the shaft) red thread locker on nut, lowered the truck to see if the ride height was good and equal. check the manual for ride dimension. 6.25" at the castor bolt not 100% on that though.

Old 04-02-2019, 06:30 PM
pilotsmack
Professional
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Hugely improved ride! Both the rear shocks and front struts were toast and providing zero damping, so body roll and a lurch after hitting ruts or speed bumps was happening. Not the case anymore! Definitely a stiffer ride, but holy comfort Batman! As for the variable rate springs, they are 1/2 inch taller than the constant rate, so compressing them and installing them takes a bit more work.

Definitely get some new bolts and bushings - I had to destroy mine to get them out. Cheap insurance.

Old 04-02-2019, 07:25 PM
dakotaff
Champion
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Welcome to 'Club Rancho'. It's a treat for your truck to reside here.

Old 04-03-2019, 04:50 PM
Bruinsdanny
Amateur
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jkeaton
Hope you're using the proper coil spring compressser. Don't try to remove that spring without one.
Too late on that one I'm in the hospital right now😂😂 j/k well ended up taking mine to a machine shop to have the struts compressed and swapped over my spring compressor that I rented from AutoZone would not fit into the coils so I paid 40 bucks do you have a machine shop do it for me then came home install them everything was a breeze I also now have front and rear Rancho's.

Old 04-03-2019, 10:07 PM
EliteTempleton
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For shocks I was replacing name brand ones every couple years until I found these coil overs: https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...790&cc=1430649

Been running on the same set since 10/2016 and still giving the truck the same or worse rough service. Heck now I load up the bed with wood and haul a trailer full too and she still doesn't squat like she used to with just a bed load. The price is for a pair too so it's very competitive. They are still doing fine! Personally I'll not use anything else, especially on these Michigan roads which is kinda like off roading at 60 mph...

No need for a lift kit on the rear to gain a couple inches either for those of you who do that, the springs keep the bed high when there is no load.

Old 04-05-2019, 09:12 PM
Smokeykurt
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Man, I did my front struts (almost the whole front suspension actually) last year. It was a pain in the ***...I had to cut out the strut bolts, strutmate bushings, upper control arm bolts. I was replacing the rack and pinion as well. Whole thing probably took me 14 hours. I'm sure a pro mechanic could have done it faster, but I felt like i was being relatively efficient. I hope others have had a funner experience than mine lol.

Quick Reply: 05' Dakota - Front Shock/Strut Assembly