3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

05' Dakota - Front Shock/Strut Assembly

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2019, 06:32 PM
Typheous890
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05' Dakota - Front Shock/Strut Assembly

Hey all,

The shocks in the front have finally worn out! Shops asking for a grand to replace the front end. (No way)
I've been researching online that you can buy a full assembly. (Shock / Spring install) I've heard this is fairly easy to install as a full assembly. But I'm having difficulties telling the difference of what would be better.
I do casual off road driving, nothing crazy. Mainly to get out to the lakes.

I've found 3 assemblies that appear to be compatible with my Dakota.

https://www.autozone.com/suspension-...front/765849_0

https://www.autozone.com/suspension-...4_122078_2888#

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/s...e/model/dakota

Truck Specs
2005 Dodge Dakota SLT Quad Cab
4.7L Magnum V8
4WD , 3.92 Axle Ratio
No lift kits, all standard.

Let me know what you all think, thank you!!

Last edited by Typheous890; 03-26-2019 at 06:37 PM. Reason: Added Truck Specs
Old 03-26-2019, 09:37 PM
dakotaff
Champion
Received 81 Likes on 78 Posts

Look for Monroe quick struts, don't know the part number off hand.

Old 03-26-2019, 09:58 PM
Typheous890
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey there,
Thanks! I found them on Amazon! Have you used these before? I'm hoping they're a good pick for light off roading.

I added the link in case you wanted to see >>

Amazon Amazon

Old 03-27-2019, 07:49 AM
dakotaff
Champion

Originally Posted by Typheous890
Hey there,
Thanks! I found them on Amazon! Have you used these before? I'm hoping they're a good pick for light off roading.

I added the link in case you wanted to see >>

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...=ATVPDKIKX0DER
Those are the ones. Monroe and Rancho are the more popular brands around here for an upgrade, with Rancho being a bit stiffer than the Monroes. Rancho does not include the whole spring assembly though, only the strut itself. I went with the
<b>Rancho</b> Rancho
, but you'll be happy with either choice.

Old 03-28-2019, 11:07 AM
RicOshea
Rookie
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

say Dakotaff, just curious what spring and strut mount did you use for your rancho struts. I myself used moog springs and mount. Not entirely happy with the spring though. I tried to match it with a rancho spring but couldn't get any specs from Rancho themselves nor did their tech service return any emails or phone calls.

Old 03-28-2019, 01:11 PM
pilotsmack
Professional
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

My Ranchos just arrived. Got the Moog mounts and some variable rate springs from ACD. Let you know how it goes. I am on call until Sunday night, so the earliest I will be able to wrench will be Monday, incase work needs me.

Old 03-28-2019, 03:15 PM
dakotaff
Champion

Originally Posted by pilotsmack
My Ranchos just arrived. Got the Moog mounts and some variable rate springs from ACD. Let you know how it goes. I am on call until Sunday night, so the earliest I will be able to wrench will be Monday, incase work needs me.
It's usually a PITA for the install, give yourself plenty of time to do it.

Originally Posted by RicOshea
say Dakotaff, just curious what spring and strut mount did you use for your rancho struts. I myself used moog springs and mount. Not entirely happy with the spring though. I tried to match it with a rancho spring but couldn't get any specs from Rancho themselves nor did their tech service return any emails or phone calls.
I reused the springs and mounts, no issues at all since, and that was 10 years ago (yup, 10 yrs). I gave the struts to my mechanic, after reading about the issues and headaches for installing them.
I figured let him have all the fun.

He took all day, I picked up my truck later than they usually close, so I'm sure it did not go too smooth.

Old 03-28-2019, 03:44 PM
pilotsmack
Professional

Originally Posted by dakotaff
It's usually a PITA for the install, give yourself plenty of time to do it.
Yeah I read about the lower shock bolt. That's why I'm waiting for a day off instead of an on-call day. It already looks like I'm gunna get called in this weekend anyway. I got new Moog bolts and bushings, so I figure I'll let the 5lb dead-blow do the talking

Old 04-02-2019, 12:49 AM
pilotsmack
Professional

Oh yeah, that was fun. Those lower strut bushings are absolutely a headache and a half. Had to use a reciprocating saw to take the forks off the bottom, then used a ball joint press to push the bolts out the back, and the bushing out the front. Ate up most of my day, though I did have to wait for the plumber for a good chunk of the morning, and can't hear him from my shop.

Rear shocks and sway bar links done, front shock/strut/bushing and sway bar links, total time was about 8 hours. Rears were a walk in the park by comparison.

Had to put the tools away because the gf works early tomorrow. Just torque-ing and a test ride, and she's done!

Mmmmmm fresh parts

Old 04-02-2019, 04:51 AM
Bruinsdanny
Amateur
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I'm next

Originally Posted by pilotsmack
Oh yeah, that was fun. Those lower strut bushings are absolutely a headache and a half. Had to use a reciprocating saw to take the forks off the bottom, then used a ball joint press to push the bolts out the back, and the bushing out the front. Ate up most of my day, though I did have to wait for the plumber for a good chunk of the morning, and can't hear him from my shop.

Rear shocks and sway bar links done, front shock/strut/bushing and sway bar links, total time was about 8 hours. Rears were a walk in the park by comparison.

Had to put the tools away because the gf works early tomorrow. Just torque-ing and a test ride, and she's done!

Mmmmmm fresh parts
Sweet I'm doing mine tomorrow! 05 Dakota 4.7L 4x4. I'm worried though because I bought the Rancho struts and need to remove springs and top plate to reuse on the ranchos. Never done it b4. Prior owner installed some cheap "Quick-Stop" branded struts, not to be confused with "Quick-Strut" from Monroe LOL dont even know if I can use the springs from this assembly guess I'll find out tomorrow...😬

Quick Reply: 05' Dakota - Front Shock/Strut Assembly